Rangiroa (French Polynesia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bonairefreedom:
Thanks for that. I'm still not too sure about diving the pass, but sounds like there are other places to see cool stuff! I guess I'll decide once my partner has done the dive, and see what he thinks.. Just being on Rangiroa should be a great experience for all of us.. can't wait 'til Christmas!
Thanks again,
ps: Do you have any pics you could post?:05:

Mike Veitch who is on the board talked me into it. He used to be a DM there......I am leaving LAX December 25 coming back January 5.....I am diving with Top Dive and Lucien put me into this cool pension.....I will also be going over to Fakwarva (sp)....We need to hook up.

I have heard for the big stuff...this is better than Palau...just not as much diversity...but I am always in search of somewhere better than Palau....still cannot find it....But i love checking to find out.

I just got back yesterday from a week on the Tahiti Aggressor. This is one of the last charters to the Tuamotus. They moving next month to the Society Islands. We started in Fakarava and ended in Rangiroa. The diving was good. There are basically two dive options in Rangiroa, the pass dives or the corner dives.

The pass dives have to be done on a incoming tide which is not always predictable. They are fun!!! On one pass dive the current was ripping. I mean really ripping. No coral to speak of, but lots of sharks and mantas hovering right next to you. I lost my camera when it was torn of my arm by the current. : (

The corner dives were decent. You always dive outside the lagoon as vis is much better. I did not see anyone diving in the lagoon. Lots of hard coral, no soft coral at all. Tons of small sharks that are very curious of divers so they are easy to get great pics of.

Overall, good diving. Lots of reef fish. However, if you are looking for diversity or small stuff you will be disappointed.

You're joking about overwaters not being worth it.

The idea is instant access to the lagoon by rolling off your deck into the water. No walking through the coral and sand. Need something at the room, swim over and get it. The entire wall slides away to an unobstructed view of sunsets and stars. It's much cooler on the lagoon compared to land with nice breezes you don't get amongst the trees. And, big is, no mosquitos. Sit outside all night with no bugs.

I spend my entire time in the water so the overwaters were worth every cent. I spent the whole time checking out the big moray in the coral head behind our bungalow, and the daily morning visits of the eagle rays under the bungalow. Look, an eagle ray! Drop in and you're there.

Sarah....I'm planning on it...I'll put a reminder in my computer for November to touch base with ya!

Back
Top Bottom