+ Rated Tanks In Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemrick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have tried Google but can't find an answer. With all the different rules and tougher restrictions are LP tanks with a + rating a thing in Australia? Could LP 95 tanks which are 165 bar with a plus rating to 182 bar actually be filled to 182?

While googling I found an Australian website that listed LP fabers as 232 bar and HP fabers at 300 bar which is.....odd

Low and High Pressure Steel Scuba Diving Cylinders - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

I know there are a few more issues with bringing tanks to Australia but I haven't seen anything about this

Tanks are very expensive here. They also have to be Hydro tested every year. I can see why someone would want to bring their tanks. I couldn't believe the price of tanks when I was in Florida.

Yes, what we call 'LP' is 232 bar, and 'HP' is 300 bar.

Dive shops would (should) refuse to fill US tanks since they won't be able to be tested and stamped in Aus, so no insurance would apply.

People moving over regularly ask about bringing UK tanks to Aus, and even though they are exactly the same Faber tanks just with a different number stamped on them it is still more trouble than it is worth trying to get them certified for Aus, the advice is always to sell them and buy new on arrival.

Yes, Aus tanks (and the annual testing treadmill) are very expensive. :(

Thanks for your answer

Are you actually getting those Faber tanks filled to those levels? 233 bar is what I would have consisted HP so I could see working if you used what I would call a HP steel tank but I haven't seen any steel HP 300 around. Do you actually get these filled to 300 bar?

You also need high pressure valves for good fills. I'd sure love to hear about a place that I could get a 300 bar fill in our HP Steels (with HP valves) in Sydney or even a consistent 230 bar fill.

Last edited:
Yes, normal steel tanks (Faber) fill to 232 BAR and (Faber) HP tanks to 300 BAR. If aluminium then usually (Catalina or Luxfer) 207 BAR or can be 228 BAR

You also need high pressure valves for good fills. I'd sure love to hear about a place that I could get a 300 bar fill in our HP Steels (with HP valves) in Sydney or even a consistent 230 bar fill.

The only way I could guarantee a good fill (232 BAR) was to buy my own compressor. I got so sick of short fills to 180-190 BAR simply because it saves the dive shop time and easy on the compressor. If I had 300 BAR tanks I could fill to 300 BAR.

I get 230+ bar fills every time. However, I, like over 20 of my fellow club members, have my own compressor.

The only way I could guarantee a good fill (232 BAR) was to buy my own compressor. I got so sick of short fills to 180-190 BAR simply because it saves the dive shop time and easy on the compressor. If I had 300 BAR tanks I could fill to 300 BAR.

Actually the main reason why you get short fills from a LDS is that they hot fill to 207 bar, and by the time the tank cools the real pressure is more like 185 BAR. I don't see many LDS fill, allow to cool then top up, or fill in water bath. I know in my LDS, it appears the staff either don't care or just don't understand (or both). I make sure I know exactly what I have in the way of volume. It really does matter when doing deep dives and calculating for reserve etc. You just dont want to calculate on 232 BAR only to find on the day when doing a 55m dive, you have 185 BAR. The dive is short enough as it is without worrying about short fills.

Even when I am recreational diving I check hire tanks and make sure I have a good fill. I am paying to dive, and expect a full tank, not a crap fill. I check the tank and send it back if less than 200 BAR (aluminium).

*sigh* we actually went into a LDS and offered to pay extra for 230bar fills. The answer was "You shouldn't have to pay extra to get proper fills" We agreed and we got good fills for a short time after that :)

Had a tank jokey at the same shop (no longer in operation) say "I don't see what your problem is. You two have great SAC rates and you always come back with air!" Um... yeah... that is why we bought those 8L HPS's with HP valves from you guys so it would be easier for us entries/exits on awkward shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom