Rationale for annual and quarterly air tests at the lab; alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dive shops around here tend to send air to the lab more or less once a year. Some shops do a certain amount of fudging to make the test dates line up with their scheduled compressor maintenance.

I guess that once upon a time quarterly tests were the gold standard. Even then, there's a lot of air that gets pumped in between tests.

So, some questions.

1) When tests results show that air does not meet standards, what is the usual cause? Moisture, CO, hc?

2) What are the typical real-world root causes of the problems these tests actually catch? e.g. compressor overheating, undersized filtration towers, operator not draining moisture separators, problems with input air, internal compressor failures, etc?

3) Does an annual or even quarterly test provide enough advance warning to deal with problems before they pose a hazard to divers or a corrosion hazard to equipment? Or does it only tell you what went wrong after people are injured and a pallet of cylinders are ready for the tumbler?

4) Is continuous surveillance a better alternative to lab tests? If you test every fill for CO and test your CO analyzer with bump gas, why pay to send a sample to the lab? Do the moisture eye/CO eye cards (that change color when contaminants are present and can be placed in a high-pressure housing) provide a reasonable level of surveillance either alone or in combination with an electronic CO tester?

5) Are particular settings more and less prone to problems e.g. liveaboards, dive shops, fire houses, personally owned compressors, tropics, frozen north?

6) Is this still a valuable tool or is it a holdover from an era when people were using surplus flamethrower compressors and filtering the output through crushed drywall chunks and activated charcoal from the aquarium store?

The NFPA requires quarterly. So fire stations tend to do them quarterly. I used to do a lot of work for NOAA, so I tended to follow their rules (semi-annually). I do the Navy's tests now in Key West. They require quarterly. My personal feeling is that annually is not enough. But I changed air compressor filters every other day and oil every 9 or 10 days. So we didn't really have annual compressor maintenance.

If we failed, it was for CO2. Otherwise we had OXA right out of the machine. Damn that global warming.

1. in Canada most HP samples fail on moisture. Far distant second is CO2 and that's with tougher standards than in the US.
2.Filtration (or rather lack thereof) ie old filters.
3.Probably not but it's better than no testing.
4.If you are only concerned about CO then continuous is preferable and do-able however CO is only one analyte out of many that is tested. (Current standards in Canada require all compressors to have constant CO monitoring to meet CSA standards.)
5.Personal compressors, especially gas powered ones.
6. Still a tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom