RDP Tables - Surface Interval Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, so you are saying no one uses nowadays the RDP tables ? If so, let's bring the dive computers then. This weekend I have the confined classes.

I'd say that's accurate. As a recreational/vacation diver with 94 dives, I've never seen dive tables being consulted. Everyone has computers, and they generally just trust what the dive master tells them is a safe plan. This will probably dismay many readers on ScubaBoard, but that's the reality as I've seen it.

A couple of coworkers just got certified through PADI, and I don't believe they even learned the tables.

A couple of coworkers just got certified through PADI, and I don't believe they even learned the tables.

Yes, SDI started the "computers only" OW certification, and PADI followed a few years later, although use of tables CAN be covered in the PADI OW class, if the instructor wishes.

Hmm, so you are saying no one uses nowadays the RDP tables ? If so, let's bring the dive computers then. This weekend I have the confined classes.

Your bottom time is so much more with a computer vs the tables.......I can not remember the last time I've seen a rec diver use tables--some places will not let you dive WITHout one.....

Your bottom time

The problem with the tables is that they assume you spend your whole dive at your deepest depth. Unless you are diving wrecks from a boat, you will rarely do a profile like that. It is very difficult to create tables that will allow you to assess a dive or plan one that is really multi-leveled (the PADI Wheel was an attempt at this). Computers do an iterative calculation of nitrogen loading as you dive, and compare that to the algorithm they have been programmed with, to see where you fit. Computers therefore take into account the time you spend in shallower water, and therefore will almost always allow you more bottom time than tables.

However, it is very good to have some framework on which to hang your dive planning and your computer readout. If you know, for example, the rule of 120 (that your depth plus your allowable bottom time equals roughly 120), then if you are at 80 feet and your computer is showing you 60 minutes of remaining NDL time, you might question how well it is working. Of course, none of us is doing 60 minutes at 80 feet on a single tank, not even me! Especially for new divers who are following the guidelines for their certification level, gas supply will loom much larger than decompression as a limiting factor for dive time. It's always puzzled me how OW classes spend tons of time on tables and DCS, and little or no time on gas planning . . .

Sadly, most OW students don't have common sense if all they've learned is follow your computer. ...
Learned from whom?
Are you saying that there are instructors teaching their students to "just follow the dive computer"?

Sure are. I've seen a crap loaf of them. That was the main selling point used on me as an OW student. Dive the computer and pay attention to it and you'll be fine. Which is why I talk about but don't teach a computer unless the student insists on buying one. I have a private ow student now. Our next two sessions will be all tables. Including deco using the navy air tables. He sees no need for a computer at this time. And with his dive plans I agree.

You know, for the average recreational diver, I don't see a whole lot wrong with teaching them to pay attention to their computer -- and to spend time with the manual, so they know what the displays mean. You can go through the theory of nitrogen absorption and offgassing fairly quickly, and it doesn't require doing table problems to give the student the idea that you soak up nitrogen at depth, and must release it in a controlled fashion . . . and that some of it remains in your body after you surface, and affects the next dive.

DCS kills VERY few recreational divers. Poor buoyancy control and running out of gas kill recreational divers. I think we should spend more time on those things.

Back
Top Bottom