re: Doffing BCD in turbulent waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anytime we're in CZM & it's ruff, we come up the ladder & get in the boat with it on---& we're using 120 HP steel tanks @ Aldora, talking coming all the way over the gunwale...
aldora.jpg

I don't know how this could apply to you, but this is how me a two dive buddies do it out of a 19ft center console. We have a tag line out the back of the boat. On the tag line we have three carabiners spaced about 6' apart. We simply slip out of our BC's, clip them to the line and get on the boat. Once was are all on the boat, pull up each rig. We all have WI BC's.

On the surface, BUOYANCY BUOYANCY BUOYANCY

Make sure the BC is adequately inflated

Pass up the weightbelt or weight pockets (if using integrated)

Leave your mask and snorkel on - make things easy for yourself

It may sound common sense but disasters occur. On a recent holiday, I heard about a man who didn't inflate his weight-integrated BC adequately and left the weights in - and guess what?- the entire kit (yes, including the tank) sank over a very deep drop. I doubt his insurance covered this type of a loss. My guess was that some enterprising DMs went on a search and recovery operation the next day.

Back
Top Bottom