Ready to buy some gear... thoughts on my selection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much! BTW, why would you recommend a regular second stage? I thought it would be great to have less things hanging off me.
First, nothing should be "hanging". Your octo should be neatly routed under your right arm and clipped off to your chest in a way that it easily releases. If someone comes up to you and signals that they're out of air, the last thing you need to be doing is feeling around for an octo floating somewhere off in space. It's likely that a panicked diver who is out of air would simply rip the reg out of your mouth, so you'd either have to scramble for your octo yourself or fight the panicked diver over who gets the regulator and lives.

As for why a regular second stage for the octo, the important reason is that in a real emergency, you would donate your primary reg to your buddy and switch to the octo/inflator combo. Because the hose for your primary is relatively short, you and your buddy would be nose to nose as you make your ascent. As the octo combo hose is even shorter, you would lose the ability to turn your head right without the mouthpiece coming out of your mouth and, if you had to dump air out of your BC as you ascend, you would be manipulating the buttons on the combo at the same time as you're breathing from it. It's just a high stress situation as opposed to donating an octo on a hose to your buddy, who can stay an arms length away while you manipulate your inflator assembly during ascent. Many recreational divers make the decision that out of air situations are uncommon enough that it's worth the chance in exchange for one less hose, but I think many people (aka me) bought one because they never thought through how they would be actually used in an emergency. Note that if you ever eventually go into technical diving, you will be required to use a standard reg as a backup.

Also, inflating a surface marker buoy at depth when you have an inflator/octo combo requires switching to the combo and using your primary regulator for inflation, since it's the only one with a long enough hose, and then switching back. Depending on where you dive, inflating an SMB could be done every dive or could be a strictly emergency procedure. In any case, it's easier with an standard reg octo.

Oh yeah, I want some dive scissors too. Those seem like they could be crucial.
Buy a batch of stainless steel EMT shears off of eBay for less than a dollar each. They're designed to be single use and sharp enough to cut a person out of tough clothing, and are cheap enough throw them away as they get rusty or get dull with use. You can buy a sheath for them, but Hashime's suggestion of just attaching them using a clip, or clipping them to an attachment in your BC pocket would work too.

My wife and I just finished buying our gear...we have tried much gear and we went with what we liked though and since we have dove with it a few times we do not regret it. I think your selections are definitly just that (hopefully) your selections. We have been using rental gear but our LDS has fairly decent and a variety of manufactures in their gear selection. From what I have found in our journey is that in general your average gear (even cheaper stuff price wise) is all safe its just the longevity that I would be concerned with, as long as you have the service and keep it clean your good. But, on something low end they are basically throw away, they can be fixed but its almost cheaper to just buy a new one. Anyhow, what I am getting at is if the gear is in your budget, and able to handle what your going to do (if your just starting out most will do you fine) then your all set and hey you can always upgrade down the road if you find it needed.

Read the thread about things people regretted they bought...
You will find
Air 2
Swivel Joint (restricts air flow, another failure point)
Console Computers

As g1138 said, If you want to use an Air 2 get a 40"/5'/7' primary, because you'll be donating this.

I would forgo the Console computer. All I would have is my spg hooked up, I wouldn't even bother with a depth / compass down there. Every time I have dove on a boat with someone who had consoles they always seem to have trouble and fumbling around with them. Get some arm mounted stuff. Also whats easier to read a watch or your belt buckle? I would get another wrist mount if your that concerned about loosing your watch in a dive.

My gf has a Pink Atomic SS1 attached to her Halcyon Infinity. She has no problem at all doing out of air drills using it. The hose the Atomic SS1 comes with is actually plenty long, and I disagree with the above post about it being too short etc etc based on first-hand knowledge rather than making any assumptions. I am not saying the above post is based only on assumption...I am just saying that we have actually used the product and tried the drill. The SS1 is also nice b/c it has a fitting which you can attach to your garden hose to flush out the BCD's bladder rather than having to hold a button and spray the water in (which does work - the SS1 makes it easier).

A friend of ours has those fins (and the bag) and swears by them, and not just for travel...they're pretty cool looking, and the bag is really quite nice too.

Good luck,

My gf has a Pink Atomic SS1 attached to her Halcyon Infinity. She has no problem at all doing out of air drills using it. The hose the Atomic SS1 comes with is actually plenty long, and I disagree with the above post about it being too short etc etc based on first-hand knowledge rather than making any assumptions. I am not saying the above post is based only on assumption...I am just saying that we have actually used the product and tried the drill. The SS1 is also nice b/c it has a fitting which you can attach to your garden hose to flush out the BCD's bladder rather than having to hold a button and spray the water in (which does work - the SS1 makes it easier).

A friend of ours has those fins (and the bag) and swears by them, and not just for travel...they're pretty cool looking, and the bag is really quite nice too.

Good luck,

James, I was referring to the primary hose on your primary second stage regulator, not the Safe Second. I think it would be safer to have a 40in hose on your primary since you would be donating that (keeping the SS1 for yourself) in the event someone came to you OOA. Most primary hoses are 28-36in in length. You can get by with a 36in primary but #1: it's a bit long without an angle adapter and #2: it's still kinda short for an OOA scenario.
Hope that clears things up.

I was just commenting on this thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/114279-what-did-you-buy-you-regret.html

Now you say the hose for the ss1 is long... it doesn't matter how long it is as its connected to your bcd/wing anyways. In a ooa with a short second like that you should be donating your primary and taking the SS1. If you were my dive buddy and I was OOA and wanted to give me your SS1 I would take your primary, why? I would not want to be trying to find your ss1, staying within (im assuming) 22 " of your bladder, trying to figure out how it works (confusion in a OOA), and most importantly controlling your buoyancy with something in my mouth.

The hose that g1138 and I suggested to lengthen is the primary one, for OOA/sharing.

This has all been very helpful! Thank you so much for all of your feedback. I bought my gear today and am looking forward to it coming in. I ended up *without* the 360 swivel and I got a regular 2nd stage. Oh, and the console I got does not have a computer... just a regular air tank gauge. I'm ready to go!

I also got a $250 travel voucher from Aqualung. Time to start planning a vacation. :)

This has all been very helpful! Thank you so much for all of your feedback. I bought my gear today and am looking forward to it coming in. I ended up *without* the Z2x swivel and I got a regular 2nd stage. The BCD does have a replaceable bladder... great question! I'm ready to go!

I also got a $250 travel voucher from Aqualung. Time to start planning a vacation. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom