Buying my first gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, im back with a dilemma.

I opted for a waterproof w8 7mm wetsuit, which i would combine with a 2mm vest. The trick is, it would be available in my size just by the end of season.

Dealer got a chance and got me a waterproof semi dry 7 mm in my size for a great price and i am going to test it first thing monday. The price difference is a bit over a hunderd EUR, so roughly 110 USD.

As i see it, i dont need an extra vest if i buy a semy dry, which brings the price difference down to 50 bucks. Should i go for it? I am sceptical because it is a back zip suit and has a dry zip. Do these dry zips last or will i need to replace it frequently? Also, will i die of heatstroke on a 30 minute boat ride to the dive location in a semidry? Is it that much harder to get yourself in a semidry in comparison to a front zip wetsuit?

I am really excited to go diving, but i dont want to make a bad decision, just because something is available...

Thank you!

Backzips in general don't require that much more effort provided it fits properly.

Also, on boats people typically wear their suit unzipped and around their waist until they get close to the dive site. The captains will let you know if you're in for a long ride. That way, while the boat is mooring, you're getting the rest of your gear on without wasting a lot of time.

I am sceptical because it is a back zip suit and has a dry zip
A horizontal back zip will almost certainly require a buddy to zip you up. It is nothing like a vertical zip on a rear entry wetsuit.

A horizontal back zip will almost certainly require a buddy to zip you up. It is nothing like a vertical zip on a rear entry wetsuit.
Yeah, that is the only reason why I am having second thoughts.

It is true, that solo diving is a no go here, but still...

It looks like you have the wetsuit figured out, I was going to suggest the Waterproof semi dry because of fit and warmth. I have found that Scu...com has good return and exchange process, but it does take time to get the right fit. I dive a jacket bcd because of disability reasons, just isn't comfortable to don a bp/w. However, I see more and more divers buying a jacket early and then wishing they had waited. I can't express enough to slow down when buying equipment, most of it will outlast your diving career. So, buy once, and cry once. Rent both if possible, rent more than once if possible. A bp/w is much easier to adjust to your body shape than any off the shelf product. It allows for configuration that meets your needs and not the needs of "most" divers as that is how the jackets are designed. There is nothing special or technical about a bp/w so don't let the tech label worry you. It is simply a kit that you assemble to fit your body and needs. You can configure everything with a bp/w that you can with a jacket except air bladders around the sides. However, that cannot be said the other way around. Much more can be configured with a bp/w that you cannot with a jacket.

It looks like you have the wetsuit figured out, I was going to suggest the Waterproof semi dry because of fit and warmth. I have found that Scu...com has good return and exchange process, but it does take time to get the right fit. I dive a jacket bcd because of disability reasons, just isn't comfortable to don a bp/w. However, I see more and more divers buying a jacket early and then wishing they had waited. I can't express enough to slow down when buying equipment, most of it will outlast your diving career. So, buy once, and cry once. Rent both if possible, rent more than once if possible. A bp/w is much easier to adjust to your body shape than any off the shelf product. It allows for configuration that meets your needs and not the needs of "most" divers as that is how the jackets are designed. There is nothing special or technical about a bp/w so don't let the tech label worry you. It is simply a kit that you assemble to fit your body and needs. You can configure everything with a bp/w that you can with a jacket except air bladders around the sides. However, that cannot be said the other way around. Much more can be configured with a bp/w that you cannot with a jacket.
To be honest, I got a great deal for the exotec bcd, and its already in the mail, so I am really excited.

As for the wetsuit, yeah, I got the pros and cons, and I got my mind set on the waterproof w8, but the sd neoflex is in stock and I realy need/want a suit😁 patience is not my virtue, so hopefully I wont make a hasty decision and regret it.

Btw, has anyone tried customizing their fins? I am waiting for my white apeks rk3 fins, and would like to put on some graphics on, instead of msrking them with my initials.

Thanks,
Luka

Hi guys, im back with a dilemma.

I opted for a waterproof w8 7mm wetsuit, which i would combine with a 2mm vest. The trick is, it would be available in my size just by the end of season.

Dealer got a chance and got me a waterproof semi dry 7 mm in my size for a great price and i am going to test it first thing monday. The price difference is a bit over a hunderd EUR, so roughly 110 USD.

As i see it, i dont need an extra vest if i buy a semy dry, which brings the price difference down to 50 bucks. Should i go for it? I am sceptical because it is a back zip suit and has a dry zip. Do these dry zips last or will i need to replace it frequently? Also, will i die of heatstroke on a 30 minute boat ride to the dive location in a semidry? Is it that much harder to get yourself in a semidry in comparison to a front zip wetsuit?

I am really excited to go diving, but i dont want to make a bad decision, just because something is available...

Thank you!
What did you end up buying?
I dive the Waterproof W8 7mm and love it. My only gripe with it is the pockets are a little tight to fit too much in, even struggle with a dsmb without it bulking out too much.
You got it for 100 EURO?? Wow. Where? I paid close to 400 Euro for mine.
The w8 has a front zip though?

What did you end up buying?
I dive the Waterproof W8 7mm and love it. My only gripe with it is the pockets are a little tight to fit too much in, even struggle with a dsmb without it bulking out too much.
You got it for 100 EURO?? Wow. Where? I paid close to 400 Euro for mine.
The w8 has a front zip though?
No, I payed 250 for the suit and 50 for the hood. The catch is, I am still waiting for it😃
I decided to go with the w8 and for the price I got it for, I dont mind it.

W8 is front zip, yes. The pockets are on the smaller side, but I have enough in the bcd, so it should be ok.

I tried the sd neoflex semidry, bit I didnt fit - to tight on the legs, to loose in the waist.

No, I payed 250 for the suit and 50 for the hood. The catch is, I am still waiting for it😃
I decided to go with the w8 and for the price I got it for, I dont mind it.

Nice! That’s still a very good price for it. They retail in Australia for the equivalent of 630 Euro. Yeah I had about a 2-3 month wait for mine, but it’s winter, so all good.
Enjoy it! Interested to know what you end up storing in the pockets of the wetsuit when you get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom