Ready to throw your fins away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the article:

Instead of kicking, PowerSwim calls for a kind of undulation as its hinged foils pivot up and down. Similar to the way a dolphin or tortoise pumps its fins, this motion generates both lift and thrust. And while artificial fins operate within the swimmer’s own wake (they form a kind of expanding cone, starting at a swimmer’s shoulders), the PowerSwim’s lead foil—or propulsor foil—sweeps through the water just outside that wake.

What more do you want to know about it?

I'd actually like to see an orthographic representation of the linkage up close, and see exactly how it articulates.

Looks like a bunch of extra crap to get in the way.

It's called an "Aqueon" it's been around a long time and every ten years or so there's another attempt to flog it:
Popular_Science.jpg

I haven't seen anyone using such an apparatus but they would surely be elected president of the Dork Divers International if they came onto one of the boats I dive off of with something like that.

Um looks sorta hard to sneak through the kelp with.

Um looks sorta hard to sneak through the kelp with.

And see the way the leading foil drops 2ft under the diver on each stroke? I can already hear the silt police readying the sirens!

Back
Top Bottom