Real difference between wetsuit technologies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the key points regarding fit etc. have been covered I'll just add that a cheap (such as Neosport) 3 mil is all you need for tropical climates, so I'd spend my money on a dry suit in NJ. More comfortable not just in the water, but also when getting back in it for dive 2, plus it allows different amounts of insulation under it. I'm in NC and didn't get enough use out of my drysuit, so I replaced it with an Insta Dry which is dry for dive 2, is warm, fits well, I don't notice compression, but it's a pain to get in and out of. Lastly, a hood makes a world of difference for heat. "if you have cold feet, put on a hat"

So how do you judge the neoprene quality? It all looks like rubber to me.

Best is Rubatex, but that's very difficult to find. I only know of one company, Wetwear, a custom suit maker, that uses it.

Second best is Yamamoto rubber. Xcel and one or two others make some suits with Yamamoto.

Not sure where it goes after that.

Give me Rubatex N-231 or else, there is nothing even vaguely comparable. It is the warmest, least compressible, longest lasting rubber that there is.

I think it important to note that "rubber quality" was 4th or 5th in the notes above.

Without talking rubbereze.. (I don't speak that language) ...

If you are looking at a sports store (not a dive store) than you can bet that the inexpensive 3mil wetsuit that you see is not made from a quality rubber and may be fine for surface sports, but will not provide much insulation under pressure due to compression. Much has to do with the consistency of the bubble size and distrubution within the "rubber" and how those bubbles get there...

At a dive store, you can start with assuming that feel will tell you a great deal. If the suit is easily streatched, (GREAT for getting good fit, flexibility in the water, comfort and for easy entry and exit - don't underestimate how hard it can be to get a 7mil suit on and off... ) you can expect that it will compress more under pressure so have slightly less insulation... but "warmth" is not the only feature of importance - diving is much less enjoyable in an uncomfortable suit - and I have seem some folks huffing and puffing to get their suit on or off as a result of the material of the suit. Try a bunch on. Different manufactures have slightly different cuts and you will likely find one or two designs that fit you much better than others - then, if available in that line, select the quality of neoprene based on flexibility, function and price that you desire.

My $0.02

Have fun with the research, purchase and most of all the diving!

I think it important to note that "rubber quality" was 4th or 5th in the notes above.

Without talking rubbereze.. (I don't speak that language) ...

If you are looking at a sports store (not a dive store) than you can bet that the inexpensive 3mil wetsuit that you see is not made from a quality rubber and may be fine for surface sports, but will not provide much insulation under pressure due to compression. Much has to do with the consistency of the bubble size and distrubution within the "rubber" and how those bubbles get there...

At a dive store, you can start with assuming that feel will tell you a great deal. If the suit is easily streatched, (GREAT for getting good fit, flexibility in the water, comfort and for easy entry and exit - don't underestimate how hard it can be to get a 7mil suit on and off... ) you can expect that it will compress more under pressure so have slightly less insulation... but "warmth" is not the only feature of importance - diving is much less enjoyable in an uncomfortable suit - and I have seem some folks huffing and puffing to get their suit on or off as a result of the material of the suit. Try a bunch on. Different manufactures have slightly different cuts and you will likely find one or two designs that fit you much better than others - then, if available in that line, select the quality of neoprene based on flexibility, function and price that you desire.

My $0.02

Have fun with the research, purchase and most of all the diving!
The issue with fit and stretch is a very real one, but actually has little to do with the base rubber. It is the laminated material on the surface(s) that creates most of the stiffness. The most flexible and best fitting suit you can get is made from skin two side material (no coatings), but that can present other problems since it can not been sewn an is subject to abrasion damage. A GN-231 suit with four-way-stretch Lycra on just the outside has proven to be an excellent compromise.

Give me Rubatex N-231 or else, there is nothing even vaguely comparable. It is the warmest, least compressible, longest lasting rubber that there is.

I second Thal's advice. I got a 5mm Custom rubatex suit made for me. It's like wearing a 7mm. The fit is perfect; almost like wearing a sem-idry.

And very little neoprene squeeze. Overall a great wetsuit. You should seriously consider Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities in your research.

Wow, way more responses than I expected. Thanks a lot everyone.

So, what I got outta this is the following:
Quality/Technology: Not much difference between the major brands, titanium is BS, fit is king, and if you want a top-of-the-line quality suit, you gotta shell out top-of-the-line cash. I don't think I'll be going with the Wetwear Rubatex. I appreciate the guidance but that stuff is just too expensive for me and I'm not experienced/knowledgeable enough to appreciate it anyway.
Thickness: I shouldn't be looking at 5mm's, i should be looking at 7mm or dry suits. I'll probably go with the 7mm as I'm pretty tolerant to cold water (all them freezing cold early morning swim practices as a kid paying off) and dry suits seem like way too much trouble/commitment/effort. For tropical/height-of-summer dives, I can always pick up a cheap 3mm.

Right-o, time to hit up the LDS...

Wow, way more responses than I expected. Thanks a lot everyone.

So, what I got outta this is the following:
Quality/Technology: Not much difference between the major brands, titanium is BS, fit is king, and if you want a top-of-the-line quality suit, you gotta shell out top-of-the-line cash. I don't think I'll be going with the Wetwear Rubatex. I appreciate the guidance but that stuff is just too expensive for me and I'm not experienced/knowledgeable enough to appreciate it anyway.
There is a major difference between materials, in warmth and also in lifespan. I am currently diving a GN-231 suit that I made almost ten years ago. A custom rubatex is about the same price as any custom suit.
Thickness: I shouldn't be looking at 5mm's, i should be looking at 7mm or dry suits. I'll probably go with the 7mm as I'm pretty tolerant to cold water (all them freezing cold early morning swim practices as a kid paying off) and dry suits seem like way too much trouble/commitment/effort. For tropical/height-of-summer dives, I can always pick up a cheap 3mm.

Right-o, time to hit up the LDS...
A 5mm GN-231 will be about as warm as 7mm of anything else, 7mm of GN-231 is what I used to use up by the North Pole.

If you choose to get a rack suit, get one that is too large and then have it taken in.

Back
Top Bottom