Really could use some advice on what to do/see near Playa del Carmen.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PDC: Great taco place on 2 between 15 and 20 (Tacos Gomez?). No beer sold but OK to bring your own. When you see a place full of locals eating you know it's a good bet. The food at the taco stands across from the bus station on 5th are delicious too. Let your nose be your guide and be adventurous!

On the flip side if you want to spend $$ on a nice meal, Casa Mediterraneana has excellent Italian food and wine... homemade pasta, good salads. Sit outside in a small, tranquil courtyard that is shared with a few local art galleries. The entrance to the courtyard is located on 5th Avenue between 6 and 8. Look for the stained glass sign. It's a welcome inner oasis in the bustle of 5th.

Thanks for all of the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it. Looking at Aldora for diving and will probably do Tulum and possibly Chichen Itza as well as Valladolid.

Try some of the day trips at www.playa.info. Great way to spend a day.

If you drive towards Tulum from Playa del Carmen, my favorite taco stand on the planet is at the Puerto Aventuras exit on the west side of the highway. It's called Taqueria el Arbolito and is worth a trip in itself. My 17 year-old ate 10 tacos there last time because it was going to be 6 weeks before he'd be able to go back (or at least that was the excuse he gave).

On the trip back, if it's not too late, you can stop at Taco Paco on the opposite side of the highway for great fish or shrimp tacos and interesting sauces. It's in my top 10 taqueria list.

Chichen Itza is a long, all-day trip from Playa del Carmen. I've only gone there when flying into Cancun. We stay overnight at the ruins (there are also some less-expensive places in Piste) then after touring the ruins in the morning we head to Playa del Carmen via Valladolid and Tulum. For us, of course, it's then on to Cozumel via ferry.

If you head down to Tulum, do visit Gran Cenote as suggested earlier. It's one of my favorite places for diving (great for snorkelling as well) and it's very different from the other cenotes as it is very bright due to the white formations. On the same road 45 minutes away is Coba, a ruin set in the jungle. When you get there can rent bicycles, hire a guide, or walk. Coba is very green unlike Chichen Itza, very peaceful and quiet. It also has the only pyramid that you can still climb on the Yucatan Peninsula. Once you climb up (make sure you have sneakers and not flip-flops), you'll have a nice 360 view of the jungle.

You can climb the structures at Ek Balam.

66nr4nr

I can say that I enjoyed Xel Ha and Akumal. Xel Ha was pretty busy but still manageable (and I am not one to like crowds). This is a view of just how big Xel Ha is..... Google Maps ......

Akumal was great for lunch and we saw likely a dozen turtles while snorkling so we really enjoyed that as well. One thing to watch if snorkelling in Akumal is all the boat traffic....... Google Maps ..............as is visible from that shot.

an evening walk along 5th ave (playa) i would start in either direction from constitution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom