Rebuilding a 2nd Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took a rebuild course about a year ago or so. I only rebuilt a few regulators with the Instructor I was working with at the time when I moved. Since then I don't work anywhere or rebuild regulators for the masses anymore, but still work on my own. In Fresh Water I would clean all the parts with simple green and water, and soap water and water. Since moving to an area with salt water, I'm finding that these solutions don't take care of the salt especially on anything that is threaded. I've tried using vinegar as that is the other solution that had been suggested but it doesn't seem to be working all that well. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the salt off the threads?

If it is white deposits (salt), then warm water and time are your friend but a little 50/50 vinegar and water will also help. If it is green (corrosion/verdiris), the the 50/50 vinegar solution should do the trick. A sonic cleaner will accelerate the process greatly. Vinegar soak should be in the 5 to 15 minute range as it can damage chrome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom