Recent Theft from Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow that sucks... I also read it that they probably either finished a dive and wanted to hang on the beach or were scouting the entry area and just left their stuff in the truck. Must not have been able to park near to the entry where they could see their truck.

Must not have been able to park near to the entry where they could see their truck.
Not likely at Margate Bay. Wide open area.

Been a few years.. We usually dive Vista blu when we head down there. But I seem to recall if its flooded due to tide folks parked up near the road. Maybe more out of direct sight...

The only things we leave in the truck are towels, flip flops, and $20 somewhere hidden.

The only things we leave in the truck are towels, flip flops, and $20 somewhere hidden.
I leave $5 in the center console as a theft indicator. I leave nothing of value except a pair of really old flip flops in the bed.

This theft report did indicate where the truck was parked when the stuff was taken. I wish more people would indicate where the theft(s) occurred. My thinking is that if locals are doing this, then it seems the thefts would be mostly along the northern dive sites. Of course some thieves may simply cruise around. Though that might create a pattern should a number of trucks get hit along a string of dive sites. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't leave a computer, watch, cash and keys in my vehicle in my own driveway. Why would anyone think this is safe practice in any jurisdiction?
Regardless, it doesn’t say much for the character of some of the locals - we encountered several that were not fond of tourists when we were there in 2018 - more so than any other place we’ve been.

And, btw, I’d have no real concern leaving stuff in a car in my driveway (though, I have no reason to ever do so) - not sure where you live?

I leave $5 in the center console as a theft indicator. I leave nothing of value except a pair of really old flip flops in the bed.
I do the same with a couple of dollar bills in plain sight 😅

Regardless, it doesn’t say much for the character of some of the locals - we encountered several that were not fond of tourists when we were there in 2018 - more so than any other place we’ve been.
How did they show that? I'm here for a while now, and have never felt unwelcome

How did they show that? I'm here for a while now, and have never felt unwelcome
A few of the local staff at the resort (Plaza) were rude and almost offended when you politely asked for something at dinner - same with some of the housekeeping staff - they seemed annoyed to do their job.

Two different taxi drivers were complaining on the short ride back to the resort about having to work after the restaurant called for a pickup for us after dinner - made for uncomfortable rides. I’ve never encountered that anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom