recently going to jamaica for a couple of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Po3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I dive in Dutch Springs in Pa (yeah! use to hate the place now can't wait till it opens) I dive with a steel 80, I weigh 165lbs, and use 8lbs. I recently purchased a 3 mil, so I can dive in Jamaica with the weight of the 3mil full length that is about 4lbs an, al 80 and salt water I am trying to figure out with an Al 80 how much weight should be good in Jamaica, . Some say use 10% of my body is about 16 lbs/ 4lbs would be 20lbs others say 5 % 8lbs would be 12lbs would appreciate the help.

The steel 80 probably has about 6 pounds of ballast more than the aluminum 80, so you'll need to add that to your belt. Find the exact tanks on this chart to be precise: Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

You don't say what wetsuit you are using at Dutch--I assume it is thicker (and consequently more buoyant) than the three mm. Whatever it is, determine its buoyancy by piling lead on it until it sinks in a pool. Do the same with your three mm. You'll need to subtract the difference from your belt.

To convert from freshwater ballast to saltwater, weigh yourself with all your gear, including lead, and multiply by .025. Add that amount to your belt.

Those steps should get you close, but there's no substitute for an in-water buoyancy check once you get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom