Rechargeable batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There seems to be a pretty good consensus on the Eneloops. What is the charge time? And, would you recommend getting to chargers (I'm thinking of liveaboards)?

They would be used as follows:
4 AA for strobe
2 AA for camera
12 AAA for his and hers lights

I was looking at two starter packs and an 8 pack of AAAs:
2 chargers
16 AA
16 AAA

Does that sound right? Some in use and some charging...

Also, can you use one charger for different brands of batteries?

I would stick with the charger and batteries of the same brand. I have used different batteries in a different charger and although I did not measure output and discharge rates and time, it would probably work. However for major brands, the batteries were designed and tested in the manufacturers charger. The chargers generally have an LED light that senses full charge and I didn't want to confuse it. As in the older Rayovac batteries I have - full charge was 85%.

I only use one fast charger but if you have a slow charger (7 hours for 4 AA's) then two chargers may not be enough depending on how many batteries you need and for two people. Slow chargers may mean more of them and more weight in bags (though the Energizer slow charger appeared much smaller and weighed significantly less than the fast charger which has a fan). Personnaly I would go to fast chargers.

Another fan of eneloops here, but I don't like their charger...can only charge in pairs. I'm looking at picking up one of the 8-cell chargers here (Maha / Powerex Corporate Site : NiMh Batteries and Chargers from Powerex, Digital Cameras from Maha, Powerex 2200 Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers, AA, nimh, lithium ion, 2000 mah, 2200mah, charger, battery), as they'll charge individual batteries. Most of my use for the rechargeable is around the house and other handheld electronics that occasionally take 3 AAs or AAAs.

Don't fall for the NiMH that has crazy high capacity. They don't provide nearly the energy storage capacity when used in a high drain situation such as powerful strobe lights or cameras with large & bright LCD screens. The low discharge rechargeable batteries like Eneloop still pumps out the rated storage capacity in such situations.

Forgot to mention that I'm interested in a CR123 rechargeable option, too. I started looking for something simple, but didn't find anything. Anyone have experience with these in a rechargeable format?

:soapbox: I hate AAA batteries! AAs carry twice as much power and aren't that much bigger to fit. Anything built to take AAAs could have been built for AAs. That said, I can't avoid them. Grr! :mad:

I posted a similar thread here a few years ago, some real photographers put me onto Thomas Distributing and I have been pleased with their quality, speedy service and most prices. Free shipping if you buy enough, and it's easy to do that. I really like their conditioning chargers as while NiMH batteries are not as bad about memory as NiCDs, they still last longer with draining before charging. I prefer the low discharge batteries now available for most needs. You get more mAh with the regular NiMHs for situations where you will be recharging daily, but for my day to day needs I like the long term storage of low-discharge.

Forgot to mention that I'm interested in a CR123 rechargeable option, too. I started looking for something simple, but didn't find anything. Anyone have experience with these in a rechargeable format?
Thomas carries some CR123 chargers and batteries, but I have no experience in those. See Welcome to Thomas Distributing - Rechargeable Batteries - Battery Chargers - Digital Camera Accessories Top Brands

What is the difference between mAh values? I see 2700, 2300, 1000 and everything in between.

What mAh should I be looking at?

I'm not looking for a fast charger, I plan on buying enough batteries so that im not relying on those in use to charge quickly before my next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom