Rechargeable batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the difference between mAh values? I see 2700, 2300, 1000 and everything in between.

What mAh should I be looking at?

I'm not looking for a fast charger, I plan on buying enough batteries so that im not relying on those in use to charge quickly before my next dive.

The higher the mAh value the longer the battery run time. I too use energizers and have had no issues.

Recharge time is a function of the level of discharge of the battery, the charger output (A), and the size (in Ah or mAh) of the battery.

So is bigger better? mAh that is
Or is there some trade off?

Yes there is. The slow discharge batteries like the Eneloop have somewhat less energy and some of the high energy batteries are slightly wider and don't fit some lights.

I'd also recommend the Eneloop or one of the other brands of similar type and not to look for the highest energy, which is not really a factor as you can just make sure you start with a fully charged battery before your dives.

As mentioned earlier, look for 'Slow Discharge' batteries first, then you can get the higher MAh batteries. A 2700 mAH regular NiMH battery will frequently have no more than 1000 mAH of energy capacity when used in a device that requires alot of burst in power.

Here is a comparison of rechargable NiMH batteries, some low discharge and other regular ones. It measures battery capacity versus load.

Batteries put to the test - best batteries for your underwater strobes|Underwater Photography Guide

Rechargeable batteries have come a long way. They are now very reliable if maintained properly. I use rechargeable batteries in my underwater camera system, and in all of my dry caving lights. I am also a cave diver who is now moving towards using rechargeable C-cell batteries even in my back-up lights.

At the current time, I think that the "low discharge" NiMH AAA and AA batteries are the best. "Low discharge" means that they hold their charge much longer than other rechargeable batteries (or that they discharge themselves at a low rate). Sanyo Enloop batteries have been regarded as the best in this class because of the reliability and consistency of the manufacturing process. Other rechargeable batteries are manufactured in various locations around the globe and there is variability in the quality.

The key is to properly maintain your rechargeable batteries. This means getting a quality "smart charger" that allows you to precisely charge, recondition and analyze your batteries. This means throwing away many of the chargers that typically come with rechargeable batteries, like the Energizer and Rayovac chargers.

Many of us prefer the Maha Powerex Smart Charger:

Maha Energy-Powerex WebBanner 480x360px.jpg

Smart chargers allow you to specify the charging rate, discharge rate, recycling rate, etc. They can also recondition your batteries to reclaim some capacity and power. Smart chargers can also analyze your batteries, thus telling you the condition and capacity of your batteries. You should search the web for more information about proper charge and discharge rates.

The advantage of using a smart charger, and keeping a record of your battery's capacity over time, is that you know with 100% certainty the exact condition and capacity of your batteries. When you buy non-rechargeable alkaline batteries you are hoping with 95% confidence that they are charged and will work as advertised -- and most of them do.

I have double sets of batteries, and keep one set on the charger and one set in use. At the end of the day I switch out the batteries and put the used set on the charger. When I go on a dive trip and plan for night dives, I will carry 42 AA batteries for my strobes, camera, focus lights, dive lights, etc.

More power (more mAh) is generally better -- but check the owner's manual of the device. Some devices will overheat if a more powerful battery is utilized. For instance, I had a Sea & Sea YS-90 strobe that recommended 2000 mAh maximum.

I get all of my stuff through Thomas Distributing. I have been using them for a few years and always have reliable service.

As mentioned earlier, look for 'Slow Discharge' batteries first, then you can get the higher MAh batteries. A 2700 mAH regular NiMH battery will frequently have no more than 1000 mAH of energy capacity when used in a device that requires alot of burst in power.

Here is a comparison of rechargable NiMH batteries, some low discharge and other regular ones. It measures battery capacity versus load.

Batteries put to the test - best batteries for your underwater strobes|Underwater Photography Guide

Alright I went to the link and was disturbed to see this comment at the bottom of the page:

LSD accu underwater
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 06/21/2011 - 19:19.
I was fully satisfied using Sanyo Eneloop with my YS-110a and I was very surprised when i had seen this topic in eneloop Handbook from official site:
"Can eneloop be used in underwater light?
Please do not use eneloop and SANYO Ni-MH batteries on underwater
light and sealed application. SANYO Ni-MH batteries contain a gas
release vent, which allows releasing hydrogen, when the battery is
misused. For normal usage, gas will not be released but hyper-electric
discharge or short circuit can cause inside of the batteries gas pressure
to rise and gas will automatically be released. This gas contains
Hydrogen and sealed devises cannot diffuse the gas. So if there is any
firing source like sparks, it might cause bursting or fire."

Could anyone comment these? Has anyone seen such a case?
Do other LSD and normal NiMh accu have the same trouble?

It is all the more suprising,while i have seen Sanyo Eneloop in recommended list for some underwater flashes(Z-240 for example)

Can anyone comment as to the validity of this?

...Please do not use eneloop and SANYO Ni-MH batteries on underwater light and sealed application. SANYO Ni-MH batteries contain a gas release vent, which allows releasing hydrogen, when the battery is misused...

That's true of any of the NiMH batteries.

But I've been using Enloop NiMH batteries for underwater strobes and lights for several years without any trouble. All I can say is that if you are concerned about hydrogen gas then you shouldn't be smoking or playing with matches when you open you camera or strobes to change the batteries.

I will add that sealed NiMH canister lights have been in widespread use for many years, and I've not heard of anyone spontaneously combusting as the result of a battery change.

Doc's advice on chargers and batteries is great, altho perhaps more than some want to mess with. My home bud & I use Maha conditioning chargers and I gave units to my daughter & grandson. They're not smart chargers, but at least they can drain before charging. Two important reminders I think...

1: Start the discharge cycle when you put the batteries in, even if you think they're dead, as they're usually not really.

2: Don't leave batteries in the charger longer than needed. Those plastic storage boxes that Thomas Dist throws in are great, especially for travel.

The airlines and TSA suggest keeping batteries in your carry-on/roll-on bags, but forget that! Pack them safely & securely in your checked bags. Most battery losses seem to happen at security gate screening when returning from Caribbean/Latin American countries. Lithium batteries have some risks, but NiMHs are much safer. Just pack them well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom