Recommend me a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean, it's fine if you like the Luna or whatever, but please just consider the fact that a lot of us like Shearwater products because of the reliability, the display, the build, the features, etc... And customer support is important even if the computer doesn't break. Sometimes just being able to talk to the company will help if you don't understand something. Shearwater goes to great lengths to help educate divers, releasing video and other materials, etc...

It's just a good company and a lot of us like it. Nothing to do with bragging rights. I don't care what anyone else is diving, and I assume that no one cares what I'm using.

Yeah, $300 isn't chump change. But it's diving. If someone posted that they were going to spend a few thousand bucks for a week long dive trip, I doubt anyone would berate them for the cost...

Yes, very cult mentality here with Shearwater. You don't realize it but it is the fact here. No one bothers to understand what the diver needs and what is appropriate to them, just shoving one answer to them all. If one wants to buy, and can afford, a Maybach then more power to them. You can't push it to anyone and everyone that asks the question on what computer to buy. All hell breaks loose if one suggests something else here. You don't realize it but it getting tiresome. It isn't just me but there are many with the same complaint.

You need to realize as a staff member here that many SB members have stopped participating and giving advice in threads related to this specific issue just because of the cultist and hostile attitude towards anyone that challenges the sacred cow. I know, we talk in the background and on FB. Most people just back off and walk away. The uninformed may get the impression that most people are using the sacred cow products but that's not the truth. It is just that the people with differing opinion and experience have just stopped participating because of the hostility and negative attitude. They were driven away with the very aggressive attitude of the believers.

One person a while ago told me (he reached out to me on FB) that he was made feel embarrassed and "ashamed" because people were pushing expensive SW products on him when he didn't care for it and couldn't afford it. Many others with similar complaints. He was looking for a KIA solution but was pushed to a Bentley solution.

I stay and offer my advice and what I believe is "appropriate" despite of the hostility because I don't give a shiit and I am not the person who just walks away. Others walk away because they don't have the time for this nonsense.

Humm, is that a bad thing to point out to new divers wider and better options or should one just shake their head and go with the crowds? Are you saying that doesn't happen here on SB? Isn't this the whole point of SB, broaden the horizon for people with less experience?
Nope, not a bad thing at all - just pointing out that the guy who accuses Shearwater advocates of being cultists is a cultist for Ratio... lol
Now, do you actually have anything of value to say against the Ratio vs. the overpriced Peregrine? Can't you discuss the actual merits and pros and cons instead of such cheap shots?
Not a cheap shot - just pointing out your hypocrisy per my above comment.
You used it yourself??
I don't have to - the inferior display is VERY obvious to anyone with eyes in all of the videos that I looked at.
The Ratio is still SUPERIOR to what you are describing in its entirety at a lower cost and future proofness.
Maybe, though not sure on your math as the i3XM 2 Pro computer is $800 and the transmitter is $420, so total is $1,220... which is more than the Peregrine TX combo's $1,000 - so not lower cost as you claim??? I also would not care for the gimmicky, color flashing light on the Ratio transmitter!

In addition, Ratio computers are not available anywhere locally near where I live (in NJ) or through any reputable online retailers that I'm familiar with in the US (DRIS seemed to have had them - but now only have 1 model on closeout which suggests to me that they were not selling enough).

Customer Support and Service quality and speed in the US is also big unknown if there are issues - those are meaningful considerations with a purchase for me! Ratio might be fine but I've not seen info/experiences demonstrating a proven track record like is readily found for SW.

Yes, very cult mentality here with Shearwater. You don't realize it but it is the fact here. No one bothers to understand what the diver needs and what is appropriate to them, just shoving one answer to them all. If one wants to buy, and can afford, a Maybach then more power to them. You can't push it to anyone and everyone that asks the question on what computer to buy. All hell breaks loose if one suggests something else here. You don't realize it but it getting tiresome. It isn't just me but there are many with the same complaint.

You need to realize as a staff member here that many SB members have stopped participating and giving advice in threads related to this specific issue just because of the cultist and hostile attitude towards anyone that challenges the sacred cow. I know, we talk in the background and on FB. Most people just back off and walk away. The uninformed may get the impression that most people are using the sacred cow products but that's not the truth. It is just that the people with differing opinion and experience have just stopped participating because of the hostility and negative attitude. They were driven away with the very aggressive attitude of the believers.

One person a while ago told me (he reached out to me on FB) that he was made feel embarrassed and "ashamed" because people were pushing expensive SW products on him when he didn't care for it and couldn't afford it. Many others with similar complaints. He was looking for a KIA solution but was pushed to a Bentley solution.

I stay and offer my advice and what I believe is "appropriate" despite of the hostility because I don't give a shiit and I am not the person who just walks away. Others walk away because they don't have the time for this nonsense.

Dunno, you must be reading a different thread.

Someone asked for advice about which computer to get. So two people who have Shearwaters and like them, said so. Briefly and without much drama.

And your next post was something about herd mentality and bragging rights.

I mean, yes, there is a lot of aggressive hostility in this thread, but I only see it in one person's posts...

Oh, sorry. I got confused. There for a minute I thought I got caught in a D6 vs SP debate.
I thought Atomic was the cult. Or maybe Poseidon.

And the one true path is obviously:
1000009391.jpg

Dunno, you must be reading a different thread.

Someone asked for advice about which computer to get. So two people who have Shearwaters and like them, said so. Briefly and without much drama.

And your next post was something about herd mentality and bragging rights.

I mean, yes, there is a lot of aggressive hostility in this thread, but I only see it in one person's posts...
And the someone who asked for advice was already looking at the Shearwater Peregrine - so I would imagine that feedback from SW users was appreciated!

One uses the industry standard transmitter and has a compass, selectable gradient factors, and the ability to display SurfGF or a tissue saturation graph. The other looks like a cheap kid's toy.
Most of which is totally unnecessary for a new open water diver. A Ratio iX3M 2 Pro is a lot better suited for a new OW diver and still has the option to upgrade the software to tech IF it becomes necessary.

It is not what you asked originally as you wanted AI

But I just wanted to mention that for recreational diving you can buy any old and used puck-style computer (for a fraction of the cost) that has nitrox and it will cover all your needs

Simple, indestructible, cheap, and you don't care if its lost or damaged accidentally.

I used mine (cressi leonardo) for 10+ years of recreational diving and never needed anything else. I even kept it for my entire cave technical training as it was done in shallow caves so there wasn't any need to upgrade.
Totally agree. I have done ~3000 dives and have done every one without AI (except for a brief flirtation with an Aladian Nitrox in the 1990s) and I have survived somehow.

AI is 100 percent a preference but it's becoming more and more de rigueur and life's too short to continue to beat the drum.

Dive your way....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom