Recommend me a trip as a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm not certified yet, but will be in May. I'm looking to get some warm water dives under my belt. Can anyone recommend me a good place or trip for a (very) new diver to get some warm water dives in and some experience? I'd love love love doing a liveaboard because I like being on boats in general, but wouldn't want to be the random solo newbie holding people up.

Many liveaboards require a minimum amount of dives and certification level for that very reason.

As for newbie places, I think Roatan has some of the easiest diving in the Caribbean. It can be expensive to get there but the diving is relatively inexpensive compared to other locations.

Belize has some very easy diving too

Bonaire has some resort packages and the diving is pretty easy. I would stick with a resort to start. If you have problems with gear or get frustrated, or whatever, you are on a nice tropical island with fun stuff to do. A live aboard is going to trap a bunch of more experienced divers with a newbie. You don't want to be that guy. Go to a resort make your mistakes and get some experience. You will have access to plenty of dives that match your experience and a full service dive shop to help you sort things out.

Many liveaboards require a minimum amount of dives and certification level for that very reason.

As for newbie places, I think Roatan has some of the easiest diving in the Caribbean. It can be expensive to get there but the diving is relatively inexpensive compared to other locations.

Belize has some very easy diving too

Bonaire has some resort packages and the diving is pretty easy. I would stick with a resort to start. If you have problems with gear or get frustrated, or whatever, you are on a nice tropical island with fun stuff to do. A live aboard is going to trap a bunch of more experienced divers with a newbie. You don't want to be that guy. Go to a resort make your mistakes and get some experience. You will have access to plenty of dives that match your experience and a full service dive shop to help you sort things out.

Thanks guys, certainly confirmed my thoughts about a liveaboard. Certainly want to get some experience beforehand then. Ideally I'd get some experience with a week or even a couple trips to Florida, but Bonaire would be cool.

Thanks guys, certainly confirmed my thoughts about a liveaboard. Certainly want to get some experience beforehand then. Ideally I'd get some experience with a week or even a couple trips to Florida, but Bonaire would be cool.
I have done Bonaire and and Florida. Bonaire is better diving and the total cost of the trip was less than a trip to Florida when you factor in everything.

I agree with Bonaire for a first trip. The diving is fairly easy but good and the island has a nice vibe. We stayed at the Plaza Beach and Dive resort, they have their own dive boats and you can check out tanks for shore diving. They also have tank stations at the resort for guests near the beach so you can just grab a tank and do a shore dive at the resorts house reef.

You mentioned Florida. I was OW certified at Ginnie Springs Florida. It was spectacular. 100ft+ visibility and a great experience.

If you want to rack up a bunch of dives in an easy laid-back environment, Cocoview in Roatan is like diver's summer camp. I've heard it called a land based LOB; multiple boat dives per day plus an all you can eat shore dive. A lot of "tidy bowl" divers make the pilgrimage at least once. :clearmask:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom