Recommendations for a pole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to change from a tray to a pole. Planning to use with the GoPro and a large BigBlue video light on a Zgear mount. My concerns are stability, buoyancy and resistance to corrosion, and risk of things falling apart.

Do not get the Intova extension pole. The description says stainless steel, mine has corroded quite badly and is definitely NOT stainless. Shame about the rusting as it did seem like a nice long pole with a smooth action.
https://www.intova.net/extension-pole/

They are supposed to be bringing out a new design soon though that is aluminium and plastic.

I use the Sealife AquaPod. Very good expanding monopod, but the adjustment screw/knob will rust if you aren't careful to clean and lube it after use.

--Thumbsplitter

I read a lot of reviews of different poles and went with the UKPro 38 HD pole. It's very good except in one area. The mount does not allow the GoPro housing to face forward at right angle to the pole-- it's forced to face downward. So I ordered an adapter and am hoping that will solve this. When I get the system all sorted out I'll post a photo.

IMG_20150606_180031111.jpg

Home made pole from a ice scraper / snow brush it was a two piece adjustable, But I never used it long so removed it... Light bar is also home made.. Got maybe 10 bucks in it.. Foam noddle is to make it neutral in freshwater..

Jim...

Here is my pole.
UKPro pole.jpg

It's a UKPro 38 HD, with a small extension mount between the GoPro housing and the pole mount, a Zgear universal light mount, and a BigBlue VTL 2500p video light. I'm not sure if it's necessary but I added a pipe insulator to balance the buoyancy. I've not dived with this yet.

The way I plan to use this is left hand on the Zgear light mount, right hand controls the camera or on the handle, and the handle end of the pole can rest on right shoulder.

I had a chance to use my pole set up today in Laguna for the first time. It worked well, but I found the foam float useless. What happens is that under pressure closed cell foam contracts and loses its buoyancy. I'll take that float out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom