Recommendations for DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using a Canon G-11 in an Ikelite case with an Inon strobe now for several years. It's the first Canon I've ever owned, with all my prior experience above water being with Olympus DSLRs. I love to shoot macro, and am thinking of upgrading to a DSLR later this year. I'll probably add a second strobe, too.

I love the quality of my G-11 and so am interested in your recommendations for a top level Canon DSLR. It's time to start saving up! :)

I use the Canon T2i in an Ikelite housing and love it. You can pick up a T2i for under 800. The newer T3i is not that big of a leap and I don't know if a housing is available yet for the T4i.

Laurie -- before you completely get your mind set on a DSLR, you may want to consider an EVIL camera instead. There are a LOT of pluses to them for underwater photography -- not the least of which is a significantly lower entry price (camera, lenses, housing and ports).

See, for example, this System Packages :: Mirrorless Systems -

Laurie -- the "EVIL" (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) or "MILC" (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) are a new "version" of the DSLR family. There are two differences between them:

a. The DSLR has a mirror system so that you optically see what through the lens; and

b. The DSLR generally (always?) uses a different auto-focus system (which is usually faster than the Evil although the gap is getting much narrower).

As a result of the mirror, the DSLR will (usually) be significantly bigger and heavier.

The two systems, depending on the manufacturer, may well use the same sensors and software and lenses.

They are an interesting evolution.

If you like macro you may want to look into an Olympus OM-D E-M5 it is an interesting camera as you can use the 14-42 lens with wet diopters and wet wide lenses
It is not a DSLR but a mirrorless but the outcomes seem formidable

Hi Laurie.
I absolutly agree with Interceptor. The OMD is a great camera, with excellent IQ and a great range of lenses.
The Kit lens, a 12-50 has a macro function that gives very good results.
It can also be used with wet lenses, both macro and wide.
You also have a nice Panasonic 45mm macro and an excellent Olympus 60mm macro (90m and 120mm equivalent)
Here are a couple of shots taken with the Pani 45mm macro

sudan_fif-18.jpg sudan_fif-17.jpg sudan_fif-5.jpg

The OMD will give you fantastic results an will be much easier to transport being almost half the size.
You can see a great review by Alex mustard on Wetpixel.com
Alex Mustard reviews Olympus OM-D E-M5 :: Wetpixel.com
I just went from a 60D to an OMD both in nauticam housing and do not regret the change at all. I would say the results I get from the OMD are better in many ways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom