Recommendations for Molasses Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NaCL H2O gal

Reaction score
My husband and I are heading down to our place in Venice Fl on the 14-22 of January. We have quite a few dives under our belts but most have been off Venice Beach (the poor viz shark tooth type) or the Haigh quarry in Illinois where we live. We are thinking about taking a couple of days to drive further south to get some warmer water temps and better viz. I have always heard good things about the Mollasses Reef and the beauty there. Need some tips and opinions about best dive operators in area and any other ifo you might want to share. Thanks!

My dive op while I was down there (Conch Republic Divers) apologized for the fact that I had to go to Molasses three times while I was diving with them. Heck, I loved it... always found something great to film there so I was quite happy. Enjoyed diving with Gary & Brenda at CRD as well.

Fire Coral Cave, at the south end of Molasses Reef, is one of my favorite sites, and home to a couple of Goliath Groupers (aka Jewfish). The big one (>500lbs) is HUGE! And the little one (<100lbs) just loves to clown around with divers, especially those with cameras. Plan to refuel at The Fish House after diving. It's considered by many, including yours truly, to be the best seafood restaurant in town. Enjoy!

Scuba Doo out of Key Largo was super when we were there over the Holidays. Small boat, excellent service.

I just got back from Key Largo. Did 6 dives (3 trips on Dec 29, 30 & 31st...a good way to end the year). The weather was MARVELOUS that week.

I try to go to the Keys 2 or 3 times a year. Made it 3 times in 2005. Already planning for another trip in end of FEB 2006!

I can refer the following dive outfits there:

Blue Water...100mm by Holiday Inn. KeyLargoBrent's boat...I dove with them in May when Capt. Glenn was driving the boat. We did a night dive on the Benwood. Had a great time.

Silent World...I dive with them alot. They are at 103mm for office & 106mm for docks. They do go to Molasses, but usually go further north. Benwood, City of Washington & Grove. As far as reefs, they go to Grecian Rocks...Banana Reef on a nice sunny day is as pretty as Molasses IMHO. It is a relatively SHALLOW dive of 25 feet to 6 feet depending on area.

Reef Adventures...They are in Pennekamp Park. They go to Molasses almost every trip. An advantage to them is they get more traffic and go out almost all the time when other shops might not have enough people to do the trip. I keep them as an "ace in the hole".

For food...I don't like fish, but my wife does. We always eat at the FISH HOUSE as Brent mentioned. My wife also LOVED the snapper sandwhich at HOBO's...about 104mm on bay side.

Have fun!

Mike

It's been a long time since I've dove the keys, as I recall I thought Molasses was ok but I enjoyed other areas more. Molasses is well known because it's large (really this is lots of sites) and relatively close. I would try to go with someone that didn't just do Molasses all the time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom