Recommendations Needed for Good Checked Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I was looking for a roller bag not a mesh bag. I already have a mesh bag for use on the boat. I have purchased a Stahlsac Caicos bag from BeaverDivers and I'm looking forward to getting it in hand next week to play around with it and see how I like it. They were even nice enough to get me the red one... you know being an Alabama fan and all red is my favorite color :chuckle:

I am currently using a NorthFace large size duffle bag. I like it because it has shoulder straps I need to use to hump it to the taxi and airport. I used to use a hard bottom larger roller duffle from L.L. Bean but the Northface is lighter. It carries 40-50 lbs easy - not so much my back.

I like the Samsonite option if I didn't need to carry it.

When i travel overseas i use a standard suit case for my dive gear, this way no one knows its valuable dive gear inside. I pack my mesh bag in the suit case as well and use that for the boat outing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When i travel overseas i use a standard suit case for my dive gear, this way no one knows its valuable dive gear inside. I pack my mesh bag in the suit case as well and use that for the boat outing.

Couldn't have said any easier or better.

Well I got the Stahlsac bag in. BeaverDivers got it to me quite quickly. While it may be a great bag for some, it did not suit my needs. Here are the pros and cons I found for the bag before returning it.

Pros:
large wheels
external fin pockets

Cons:
unstable - it would not stand up unloaded or loaded
unable to lock external fin pockets
size - could barely fit a full set of gear

I concur. Not a fan of advertising contents. Although I carry on most expensive items.

Hmmm, now throw some big wheels (old lawnboy mower) on that Samsonite and a retracting handle (2 x 2) then for the occasional portage some canvas shoulder straps...

I use an old but sturdy Samsonite Suitcase. I roll up a gear bag and put it inside to carry to the boat.

My thinking is, I don't want a bag that says "Steal me, I'm full of expensive scuba gear."

My Samsonite looks like a pauper's suitcase. (Obviously, when the bag starts falling apart I'll replace it.) I check my wing/harness, fins, knife, flashlight, mask and have enough room for some clothes as well. The only breakable items are the flashlight and mask. The mask is in it's own box which I roll up in a sweat shirt. The flashlight gets rolled up as well. I have a couple of heavy duty Home Depot trash bags (I think they're 5 mil) to wrap up anything that might still be wet when I travel home.

My regs always come on the plane with me, as does any camera equipment. If you have a knife attached to your gauges, make sure you check it. TSA won't let you bring it on the plane.

Finally, don't forget to get DAN insurance to cover your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom