Recommendations please - Maldives in January 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KristenK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone! I got the okay from hubby to plan a birthday trip for January. We could stay up to 14 days, so I'm considering doing a liveaboard and land-based stay. I would appreciate some recommendations, as we've never done Maldives before. (I did Indonesia a few years ago, out of Padangbai.)

Here's a bit about us and what's important to us:

- Both AOW with 100 or so dives
- We love everything underwater...big and little stuff, lots of color, etc. Hubby has never seen mantas. We've never seen whale sharks
- Except for Indonesia, all diving done in the Caribbean
- We don't do any serious uw photography
- For land-based, we would love the rooms right on the water, a nice beach is a must! (We lay like broccoli when topside)
- We've never done a liveaboard. I imagine we'll want a room with a window
- Food is kindof important...doesn't have to be Michelin-star, but bad all-inclusive meals definitely but a damper on a trip
- We like to make friends while traveling, including DMs and other dive staff
- We're in our early 50s. Not big partiers, but enjoy a good cocktail or two
- Price range is mid-high (but not at the tippy top by any means)

Thanks in advance for your ideas! And...if anyone wants to join us, please let me know!!

Hello everyone! I got the okay from hubby to plan a birthday trip for January. We could stay up to 14 days, so I'm considering doing a liveaboard and land-based stay. I would appreciate some recommendations, as we've never done Maldives before. (I did Indonesia a few years ago, out of Padangbai.)

Here's a bit about us and what's important to us:

- Both AOW with 100 or so dives
- We love everything underwater...big and little stuff, lots of color, etc. Hubby has never seen mantas. We've never seen whale sharks
- Except for Indonesia, all diving done in the Caribbean
- We don't do any serious uw photography
- For land-based, we would love the rooms right on the water, a nice beach is a must! (We lay like broccoli when topside)
- We've never done a liveaboard. I imagine we'll want a room with a window
- Food is kindof important...doesn't have to be Michelin-star, but bad all-inclusive meals definitely but a damper on a trip
- We like to make friends while traveling, including DMs and other dive staff
- We're in our early 50s. Not big partiers, but enjoy a good cocktail or two
- Price range is mid-high (but not at the tippy top by any means)

Thanks in advance for your ideas! And...if anyone wants to join us, please let me know!!

I think you might really enjoy the Ocean Divine Deep South itinerary. We absolutely loved it!

Here is my trip report:

Ocean Divine Deep South Trip Report

Can't help you with land-based resorts....

....but can recommend the Emperor Serenity liveaboard. I just did their the Best of Maldives itinerary in mid-February. It is a cruise thru the Central Atolls starting and ending in Male, the capital city into which you fly. Our trip included North and South Male Atoll, Vaavu Atoll, Ari Atoll, and Rashdhoo Atoll.

The cost was $2560 pp.

The boat is quite spacious and comfortable. The cabin that I had (#9) is on the main deck and is easily the largest liveaboard cabin I have been in. If I say over 400 sq feet, it would not be an exaggeration. It has windows both in the bedroom and the bathroom. The glass is glazed so privacy should not be a concern. If you choose this boat, I highly recommend either this cabin or the other main deck cabin (#10). They are a bit pricier than the lower deck cabins, but it is larger and you don't have to climb up for meals, for briefings or to go diving. There are also three upper deck cabins.

I had done two prior Maldives trips in less pricey boats and the food was very fish-centric. I don't mind fish but prefer some variety; so I was dreading the prospects of having fish for most meals. But on this boat, the food exceeded my expectations. Every meal was buffet and included 2-3 types of fresh cut fruit, 2-3 salads, ample starches and veggie choices, and besides a fish main entree, there was always either a beef or chicken main entree. Dinners included a glass of your choice of wine.

Be forewarned that there are two skills that you may be asked to perform when diving from this boat - I don't know if it applies to all boats in Maldives. Maybe it depends on which itinerary because I also had to do them on one of my previous Maldives liveaboard trips that did a similar itinerary, but not on the other, which was to the northern atolls of Maldives. If you don't know how to, they will teach you. One is to deploy a reef hook. If you don't have one, they will provide you with one. The other is to deploy a sausage while underwater.

Boutique Beach, Dhigurah Island, South Ari Atoll. See my trip report on this thread. Yes the beach is lovely. We have been back three times and are aware of a notable number of "returners". Owned and run by British woman. They do things like dinner on the sand-bar or out on the beach for everyone - no extra cost. On our last trip the dive boat called in at another island to refuel after diving and we all went and had a coffee at a local cafe who also provided local cake. Paid for by Boutique Beach. Yes, you are treated like guests.

Food is delicious. The chef (and he is a chef not just a cook) is "can do" if you have any dietary needs. They watch what you like and build the menu accordingly. But this is the Maldives - it is dry, ie no alcohol. But wandering in the evening through the sandy lanes of the village and beside the beach with your Magnum ice creams is so romantic!

I had a birthday out there - and they gave me such a wonderful time. The room was decorated with flowers and petals, dinner out on the beach.

Diving - very well organised. Excellent briefings. Videos available on their channel. Everything from sharks and mantas to nudibranchs and shrimps. They listen to what you want to see and as far as possible choose sites to meet peoples' wishes.

Back
Top Bottom