Recommended dive ops in or around Hana, Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife as a travel director has been sacked...

Looks now like we'll find a rental condo in Keihi...two weeks in January, I hope. Diving and snorkeling will be done. I may even exert myself to get PADI Advanced OW. We may look into a night or two in Hana to see the sights [short term 'fill in' rentals are pretty easy to find, apparently].

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

A wise move if you want to do any sort of diving! As noted, Hana is a scuba-free zone. There is some good snorkeling in the area but it's probably difficult to do in the winter.

But, don't write it off completely. Your wife is correct in that Hana is a place of tranquility & natural beauty - something that's getting increasingly difficult to find on Maui as the island gets more and more developed. If you have the chance it's worth staying there for couple of days, despite the lack of water activities.

Hi everybody -- I have arranged for two weeks in a very nice beachfront condo in north Kihei...not the cheapest or the closest place, but since we'll be renting a vehicle, the distance isn't very important. As for Hana...well, we'll see. After reading about the twisty narrow road overlooking the ocean, my wife is now uneasy about the drive...perhaps we'll take a tour, rather than driving ourselves.

I'm reading a lot about the dive ops in the area...certainly lots of choice, but it still doesn't sound quite as frantic a scene as Cozumel. I'm particularly interested in doing some shore diving for the first time...Shaka Doug, I suspect you'll be hearing from me a time or two. We loved visiting Kona on the Big Island a few years ago and I really enjoyed my dives there, but it looks like Maui will be an even better experience. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Check out temptation tours for the Hana sky trek I think they call it. 7am-1:00 pm or 12-5pm. Drive in or out one way and heli in or out the other way. Great way to not have to drive the road, stop at lots of cool spots and get to heli over the crater to boot. Was around $300 each I think a few years back but well worth it and only takes a half day out of your vacation. We did the drive in the morning and heli out and were back at our car at the airport before 1 pm.

And don't forget you'll be here during whale season!!

When we were in Cabo a few years ago, our resort looked out over the Pacific side of the peninsula...we could easily watch whales breaching right from our unit patio! We saw more whales that way than on the actual whale-watching cruise we took... We're eager to do this again...it's one of the reasons we chose a beachfront condo [on Sugar Beach...].

---------- Post Merged at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Check out temptation tours for the Hana sky trek I think they call it. 7am-1:00 pm or 12-5pm. Drive in or out one way and heli in or out the other way. Great way to not have to drive the road, stop at lots of cool spots and get to heli over the crater to boot. Was around $300 each I think a few years back but well worth it and only takes a half day out of your vacation. We did the drive in the morning and heli out and were back at our car at the airport before 1 pm.

VERY interesting...Thanks for the tip!

The Drive to Hana is a hair raiser at times, but its not "that" difficult. I did it in a 4-door wrangler and drove the complete loop pass Hana. I would suggest to drive yourself and get to enjoy the sites that the tour companies only make quick stops at. The Maui revealed book works decent for the trip, make sure you review it good before driving, and leave EARLY!!! That way you can beat the bulk of the tour bus traffic. Make sure you plan to go to The Seven Sacred Pools as it is the prize at the end of the road. However if you our that timid of a driver, go ahead and take the tour vans and sit back and relax. Since you will be there for two weeks, you should be one of the lucky ones that gets to Shore Dive, do Molikini Crater, and make it over to Lanai. When I was there it was a short trip and on my one boat trip with B&B scuba, we had a nice break and the weather and by special request we went over to Lanai. B&B has a awesome boat and crew, of all the boats I have been on it was second only to the boat that is owned by Kona Dive Company, I love Catamarans for thier stability.

Token, if you need or want a dive guide for shore dives, Shaka Doug is a great guy and fun to dive with, I've done it several times. I had planned on going with him when my wife and I were there in July but made the mistake of trying surf lessons and ended up at Maui Memorial for a day and a half. Before that I did get to go on a scooter dive with Scubahawk27 and had a very good time. He and his wife and there friend Ryan? that went were alot of fun, very nice folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom