recommended fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maderadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was wondering if anyone can help me on deciding on what fins to get with any tips for pure beginner. To swimming with fins are split fins way to go or overrated. Any good value brands/models to look for or avoid

Was wondering if anyone can help me on deciding on what fins to get with any tips for pure beginner. To swimming with fins are split fins way to go or overrated. Any good value brands/models to look for or avoid

I got these with a bag, so it cost me a little more. They were a part of a package and when I got them (last year) I wasn't expecting to get them in the package itself. I've been able to work with them in a pool and they were great.

Silver Snorkeling Package

I got the blue ones...and for paddle fins, they are great. And if you decided not to take a look at the link, it's the Oceanic Vipers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madera, save your money... Go to a used dive gear shop, craigslist.com, or pawn shop and find a 10.00 set of Fins. For now that is all you need. Go log some dives. Buy a set of good fins next year, by then you should know what you like/ dont like about what your using. Which in turn will help you decide what to buy.

What cocoajoe means is that this is a topic that frequently inflames peoples' passions and the discussions can become quite heated.

Here's my rather mild opinion :wink:

The best fins for you depends on a combination of all sorts of factors, and the fins that work best for you may not be the ones that work best for me or for many other people who respond to your question. Here are some things to consider:

1) Are you comfortable barefoot in full-foot fins or do they hurt your feet? When I learned to dive, full-foot fins, which you wear barefoot (that is to say, without booties) cut off the circulation to my toes because of pressure on the instep. I need open-heel fins and booties for my shape of foot.

2) Do you have slender legs with virtually no fat on them? People with very slender legs tend to be foot heavy, even when properly weighted. These people should stay away from really heavy rubber fins and should look for fins that don't add to their foot-heaviness. There are several models that are made of plastic with rubber only in key areas of the fin, in order to make it lighter. Conversely, people whose feet tend to float should get the heavier fins.

3) Do you have strong knees and ankles or have you had problems with them? If you have to be careful of your knees, for example, if you wear a knee brace for certain sports, split fins will generally cause less strain on the joints than paddle fins.

4) What kind of diving do you envision yourself doing in the future? If you need precise maneuverability for what you want to accomplish, paddle-style fins are more versatile than split fins since it's easier to learn to do things like kick backwards with paddles.

Ideally, you would be best advised to try different fin styles out before buying so that you can see what feels the most comfortable for your particular physiology and so you can decide whether the fins will suit your diving objectives.

Last edited:
I purchased a set of APS Mantarays because they are light weight, not very long (i.e. easy to pack for trips), and they seem to have the same amount of thrust as my old heavy rubber Jetfins had. Also they do not have those plastic buckles that always seems to break at the wrong moment.

I also like that they are very soft. You could probably wear them without booties, but they fit a number of foot sizes because the foot pocket is soft.

The down side is that they are kind of hard to find. I got mine at Temecula Scuba in California on line.

I bought split fins (Apollo BioFins) when I first started because I didn't really know anything about fins and that's what the shop sold me. I don't dive them now, have switched to a non-split fin (Scubapro Jet) because I got interested in DIR and want to learn different kicks that are more maneuverable. When I finally buy a dry suit, I'll probably have to buy another pair to fit the larger boots. My wife prefers a full-foot fin in warmer water and likes her Seawing Novas with booties here in SoCal.

I didn't find the split fins were any easier to swim with, by the way, but they did get me around. The Jets are more negative and bring my feet down a bit.

All these fins work great, but my biggest suggestion is to not spend a lot of money on them now because you'll likely change your mind about them as you progress.

Best,
-Graham

I think an inexpensive paddle fin, like the Deep See Pulse fins, or the Edge Expedition fin, is a great purchase for a new diver. Too many people get talked into very expensive fins as students. Since you do not know, at this point, what kind of diving you are going to do, or how you want to do it, a big investment in fins seems silly to me. Buy something that works reasonably well, and if you find you are diving a lot, and those fins aren't working well for you, upgrade to something else.

I would recommend spring straps to everyone, though . . . struggling with your fins in the water just isn't fun, and isn't necessary.

Buying fins is a lot like buying a car ... the best choice depends a great deal on personal preference, what your goals are, and your budget. Because the "ideal" fin is such a subjective topic, there's a great deal of misinformation out there. Most of it's well-intentioned, but it's based on the personal preferences and experiences of someone whose priorities are probably different than yours.

But some generalities can be helpful. So rather than tell you which fins I think you should buy, I'm going to just give you some things to consider ...

First off, consider where and how you're planning to dive them. If you plan to travel a lot, you're probably going to want to consider a lighter weight fins ... because of weight restrictions in luggage. There are several good choices in lighter weight fins out there. But also keep in mind that the trade-off is usually that they're less durable in the long term than the heavier, rubber fins. Also keep in mind that plastic fins tend to float ... while rubber fins tend to sink. Do you normally have floaty feet? If so, a plastic fin may make that problem harder to deal with. On the other hand, if you're someone who already tends to dive with your head up and feet down, rubber fins are only going to make that habit harder to correct.

Split fins vs blade fins ... hoo-boy ... everyone's got an opinion ... here's mine. Split fins work fine for a lot of people. If you are only planning to dive recreationally ... using a single-tank rig ... then performance-wise they're fine. They kick easier than blade fins, which is both good and bad. Good, because by offering less resistance they produce less fatigue in your leg muscles ... reducing the risk of cramps. Bad because they provide less "feedback" to your brain that lets you know what you're doing back there ... and therefore people tend to overkick them. That's where the theory of them being a "silting" fin comes from. If you dive them correctly ... keeping them within the slipstream you create as your body moves through the water ... they are no more silty than a blade fin. The other myth is that you can't frog kick in a split fin ... well, actually, you can. The motion is a bit different than with a blade fin, and it's generally less effective due to the collapsing center of the fin ... but it can be done. Lots of people frog kick in splits just fine. Same goes for a helicopter kick, although in my experience it's less efficient in splits ... but it can be done. The downside to splits is that they generally cost more than a comparably performing blade fin.

Blade fins are basic. The stiffer ones generally offer the most bang for the buck in terms of propulsion ... but you need the leg "levers" to move them. If you have weak legs, you probably won't like them very much. People with strong legs or an efficient kick tend to prefer them. It's generally easier to learn alternative (i.e. frog, helicopter, back) kick styles in blades than in splits, because blades give you more of a "feel" for what's going on back there, and feedback plays an important role in the learning process.

Don't neglect looking at the straps. Most fins come with some sort of rubber strap, and a buckle system. Look at those buckles ... plastic ones can (and do) break ... particularly those with plastic hinges. If you have a choice, go with spring straps ... besides being more durable, they make it much easier getting the fin on and off. There are several third-party spring straps out there that are reasonably priced and come in models that fit virtually anybody's fin. I'd recommend them.

Finally, consider the foot pocket ... different fins have different shaped foot pockets. You need one that's not only comfortable, but that fits your foot snugly enough to transfer the motion of your foot to the fin without excessive slopping around. Foot pockets that are too tight will make your toes hurt, and can induce cramping. So it's recommended that you not only try the fin on with the booties you plan to be using, but if possible try the fin in a pool or rent (or borrow) a pair to dive before purchasing.

Nobody can really tell you what's the best fin for you ... consider fit, form, function and price and decide for yourself what among all these considerations best matches what you consider important ... just like you would if you were buying a car ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom