Recording dives ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log every dive with date, location, time, temperature, exposure gear, weight used for the dive, and dive buddy. Then for the notes I like to put down any cool things seen during the dive.

Most of my dives now are vacation dive so recording the unusual fish or other is a fun way for me to remember my dives. Once on vacation in Cancun a nurse shark abruptly turned course towards me and my daughter and swam about a foot over our heads. I don't think I need the log book to remember that dive! But it comes in handy especially when I haven't used my 3 mm wetsuit for a year to recall how much weight to use.

I also have a long term goal of volunteering at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA as one of their volunteer divers. You need a minimum of 50 logged dives in addition to rescue diver certification. Although I'm comfortably passed the 50 dive point I still count every single dive regardless of depth or time as long as it involves getting in the water with scuba gear just to notch another official dive in the log book. That way I can demonstrate my experience when I apply for the volunteer position.

Since logging dive is mostly a matter of personal preference then what ever information you choose to record or what conditions you wish to include is up to you.

A dive log is most useful to the new diver. I don't log dives, gave up several times, last time was maybe 15 or 20 yrs ago.. but I make my kids log their dives. Even when we go snorkeling that outing goes in their dive log. what they learned, what they saw and MOST IMPORTANTLY what mistakes happened. Recording the little mistakes, the mis-communications, maybe taking too little, or too much lead... those are all really valuable.

Depth and time doesn't matter.

Calculating gas consumption rate?

Depth and time don't matter as criteria to justify logging a dive for anew diver. Depth does have a huge impact on the dive, my kids always record their depths. We don't worry too much about air consumption, I have showed them the math, but when both members of the buddy team have pony bottles and air consumption is good, leaving the bottom around 5 or 700 is usually good enough unless the dive is very shallow.

My teenage son completed his deepest dive not too long ago... 96 or 97 feet, I forget now, hope he logged it. (He was snorkeling).

That's a bold statement. I think some people might want to log some of their pool dives. You say they "should NOT"?

I've been told by my dive shop (SSI) instructors that pool dives don't count toward certification levels that require a minimum number of dives. My practice has been to log those dives, however uneventful they may be, and not give them a dive number.

I've been told by my dive shop (SSI) instructors that pool dives don't count toward certification levels that require a minimum number of dives. My practice has been to log those dives, however uneventful they may be, and not give them a dive number.

Absolutely. I would have been surprised if any agency would count a pool dive toward some certification that requires a minimum number of dives. As you point out, there's a difference between logging dives and keeping a running total of how many dives one has done for purposes of satisfying some requirement. I log a pool dive now and then, as I said, but that doesn't mean I would count it as part of some "total number of dives." I suppose if I ever had to show proof of some minimum number of dives, I would just count the ones that seem to fit whatever the requester is looking for, like, for example "how many dives over 60 feet in the past year." I think some people confuse logging dives with counting dives. There does not necessarily have to be a one-to-one correspondence between what's logged and what's counted, and you can even maintain different counts of different kinds of dives. Some "grand total" number doesn't (or shouldn't) carry a lot of weight with anyone who is in the know. Someone's "1000 dives" doesn't impress me without more information beyond merely the number.

Reactions: EFX
In our area the light is best at 0-10 ft. So sometimes I video for an hour or longer at just 3 feet. So why wouldn't that be a dive to log? (If you want to log dives in the first place, but there are people who think it is useful and I'm not against it. I just don't do it myself. I look in my pdc to see how many dives there are and write it down when I change pdc's)

Log all your dives, maybe not in the pool though...

GroovieGuy - your log book - your choice. <snip> :D

^^^^^Yeah that. Do whatever you want. Include pools, don't include pools. Set your own minimums. Mine is one breath underwater.

I have never regretted writing in a journal, blog or diary. I have regretted not starting one though. Just sayin' you cant go back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom