Recovery Operation off Scituate Tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver:
I heard that State Police divers are in the water tonight looking for a body after a fishing boat caught fire and sunk.
From today's New Bedford Standard Times:

"BOSTON -- One man was missing and two others were rescued after a fire broke out aboard a fishing boat yesterday afternoon, the U.S. Coast Guard said.
The Coast Guard received a report at about 4:30 p.m. that the Lady Lorraine, a 44-foot commercial fishing vessel registered out of Scituate, was on fire about five miles northeast of Scituate, said Petty Officer Lisa Hennings.
The Coast Guard dispatched boats and a helicopter to the scene. Another fishing boat, the Night Moves, rescued two of the crew members from a life raft. A third crew member could not immediately be found, Hennings said.
One of the rescued men was taken to South Shore Hospital in Weymouth, and the other was taken by helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital. Both had burn injuries, but the seriousness was not immediately known. Their names were not immediately released.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, Hennings said. "

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/02-05/02-21-05/a03lo939.htm

Divers were in the water this morning - looking for the body. It was very rough down here today- it must have been a tough dive. The boat caught fire 5 miles out, but was towed in partway before sinking. The word is that she is resting in 40' of water.

From the photos on the evening news, it seems there's not much left of the boat. Burned almost down to the water line.

LobstaMan

say what you want about the commercial fishing industry - and I know I have my own strong opinions - but there are few professions out there more dangerous or physically demanding.

all the prayers and condolences in the world for his family and friends.

My source on the MSP Underwater Recovery Unit said that 3 or 4 MSP divers dove the wreck attempting to locate the body of the missing fisherman and to ascertain whether or not the wreck should or could be refloated. They did not find the body, but also could not rule out that the fisherman's body might be burned along with the wreck. Sad case in any event.

LobstaMan

The body washed up on Pegotty. I would asume what's left off the wreck is in that area. Very sad, really young kid.

Sad ending for the young fisherman and his family.

I don't know where the wreck is located. The Dive Team member I spoke with did not dive, he just spoke w/ those who did. He did say that the wreck is very badly burned and lies in about 40 to 45 fsw somewhere off Scituate.

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom