Recreational Affordable scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ordered a couple for my OW students.

I still prefer my Silent Submersions long body, but I can't but two of them for $800.

I'll give a detailed description when the scooter arrives. It seems like a great OW tool for shallow reefs, etc...

I talked to one of the distributors about the scooter. The word was all great.

The distributor mentioned that nobody dives trimix until they are nitrox trained. FWIW

Looks like a lot of fun for $400, however the batteries on these things usually list for run time 1 hour, so more like 45 min prob, that's a long surface swim dragging it back if you get carried away exploring the world of Jake Coostow ~Z

Divesherpa once bubbled...
The distributor mentioned that nobody dives trimix until they are nitrox trained. FWIW
WTF does that have to do with the scooter? You don't need trimix to exceed 65ft.

zen makes a good point about the batteries...

I'd be concerned when the specs say "Depth rating 65 feet / 20m" -- which is it? 65ft or 20m? If it's 20m, then it's actually 66.67ft. If it's 65ft, then it's 19.5m.

2.0mph doesn't seem that fast to me. When fin reviews are done and the average speed seems to be 3.5mph... why would you want to pay $400 for a scooter, plus whatever electricity it costs to charge the sucker for an hour ride?

It isn't even a real Sea-Doo: "Sea-Doo is a registered trademark of Bombardier Inc. and is used under license to Daka Development Ltd. The Sea-Doo Seascooter is neither manufactured nor distributed by Bombardier Inc."

It's really more of a snorkeller tool.

KrisB once bubbled...
It's really more of a snorkeller tool.

The Aquascooter is a real snorkeller's tool. :)

Personally I'd really be wary of this one. It seems to me that it's just too easy to flood and get stranded hauling a dead one back to shore.

Marc

KrisB once bubbled...

I'd be concerned when the specs say "Depth rating 65 feet / 20m" -- which is it? 65ft or 20m? If it's 20m, then it's actually 66.67ft. If it's 65ft, then it's 19.5m.

Yeah, you'd better call them and see if they'll fix the ad.

I've heard these things implode if you drop a couple inches below their depth rating.

I think you need to be wary of manufacturer's claims relating to MPH. You could take a skinny 100 pounder in a diveskin with no tanks and get a good rating. Thrust in lbs is not subjective. I see other more expensive scooters rated for a higher mph with the same thrust rating as the Tyger-Ray (48lbs). The Tyger-Ray is rated to 125ft, and at less than $400 looks like a good entry-level scooter. Anybody try one yet?

http://www.divebooty.com/equipment_details.asp?pid=3811

Divesherpa once bubbled...

I still prefer my Silent Submersions long body, but I can't but two of them for $800.

Can't you get a credit for a Mako trade-in on SS or Gavin? This upgrade option makes the Mako an appealing option since you've got room to grow.

Cornfed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom