Recreational sidemount (single tank) vs. backmount (BP/Wings)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFrazier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I haven't been diving for about three years due to medical (type 2 diabetes) and financial reasons. I am now ready to return to the sport and I'm looking for some advise.

I'm 52 years old, and I'm looking to purchase new gear. At the time I left, I was considering a backplate/wing setup as a traditional jacket style BC has always been uncomfortable for me. I have also experienced back pain after carrying the tank on my back. Almost all of my diving up to this point has been shore or from a small boat on a lake.

The March 2011 issue of Dive Training Magazine featured a cover store titled "Clan of the Cave Divers: Lessons From The Overhead Environment" with the cover photo being a cave diver using a dual sidemount rig. I found the article very interesting and after doing some more research it seams that there are some divers using sidemount for recreational diving.

I'd be interested in others opinions, given my situation. How do the costs compare between the different setups?

Thanks

If my understanding is correct and i am sure that others will chime in. When doing side mount for rec you still need to have 2 bottles to keep you from wanting to lay on your side all the time, but you can go with smaller bottles or just have more gas while you are down. I have heard this is a great option for people with back problems. As for the cost you will need two first stages as opposed to one and also two SPG's. If you are interested in doing side mount you whould check out the side mount forum and I am sure that they will answer all your questions.

Kyle

There is discussion on the sidemount groups from time to time about single-tank sidemount, and you can also do a search on Monkey Diving. A light tank, such as an Al80, will probably not put you on your side. I love sidemounting in the cenotes, and feel safer in some respects than back mounted doubles. For single tank diving, though, especially off a boat, I'll stick with my BP/W--it's more self contained, and easier to just put on and walk around in.

I have made a few single tank sidemount dives off of dive boats and the beach. It is not normal for me but we were in Mexico for some cenote diving and wanted to make a few ocean dives too. While I had my recreational reg, I did not have my rec BC so I dove with my Nomad. On one dive, my side to side trim was off but since it has been fine. You may have to wriggle some to displace the air in your BC and its position. That may not not sound right but it worked for me. We had others in our group that did the same with one tank and others that used two tanks.

If you go this route and use a single tank, my recommendations would be:
1. Try to find some friends who have a SM rig to practice in a pool before committing.
2. Use a 6 or 9" hose for your pressure gauge/depth guage. Use a wrist mount compass.
3. Use a smaller length hose for your SM BC which probably comes with the BC. You may still need a different length depending on your size and set up.
4. You may need a slightly longer hose for your primary reg to loop around your neck.
5. Get a piece of innertube to slip around the tank to stow your octo.

You mentioned back pain. If you plan to put your tank on and off in the water while boat diving, consider the effect of the seas or current. You will have to deal with one or two clips, a bungee in addition to connecting your inflator hose. The times I dove SM off a boat, I entered and exited with he tank. To do so in the water would be a PITA unless I was breathing and desecending.

One thing to remember. Someone said if you ask 10 different people their opinion on SM diving, you will get 11 different opinions. That about sums it up. Good luck, and I hope you can get back into diving.

Just my opinion here but If you are just getting back into it I would go with the single tank BP/W set up. It really depends on what kind of diving your going to be doing but SM can be time consuming and overkill on just basic OW dives. Also at some point if you want you can always convert any BC (BP/W & Jacket) into a side mount rig (not recommended on jackets but can be done).

As for costs they can be the same or can be very extream.

I look at SM as a double tank rig not single...

BP/W & SM rig can cost the same
Tanks you would of coarse need 2 for SM
As already said you would need 2 regs, SPG, and extra clips and stuff.

So starting from scratch you will end up spending much more on a SM rather than the single BP/W option.

Look up DeepSeaSupply they have AWSOME complete rigs for $475 (cheaper than anywhere I found)

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I'll go the with the BP/W. DeepSeaSupply was on my short list last time, I'll check them out again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom