Red Sea Liveaboard - Route Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverInSF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers!

What route would you recommend for a Red Sea liveaboard? I found myself heading to a wedding in Israel in early July and, with a couple of weeks to spare in the region, it would be a shame not to spend a week diving in the Red Sea.

I'm not a pro, but comfortable underwater. I've done my share of what people consider advanced dives. More interested in wrecks and the big stuff than little reef fish, but would frankly be happy anywhere with good vis and good people. Departure point is totally flexible.

Curious about other people's experience.

Also - has anyone tried to get from Eilat to Sharm overland? How easy is it?

Thanks!

Eilat to Sharm is about 3.5 hours and maybe $60-$80 taxi fare. Takes around half an hour to leave Israel (have shekels for the tax) and 45 minutes to enter Egypt (have dollars to buy visa; possible no working ATM machine at Egyptian side of border.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful. Sounds like Sharm is the better departure point, so I'll take that into account.

There is also one or two buses a day (cost, a few dollars), but the wait could be very hot.

Dahab is much cheaper than Sharm. Visibility tends to be higher (Gabr al Bint), but big life (big morays and rays) is far more common in Sharm.

This is a snapshot of what it looks like in and near Dahab:

Last edited:
DiverInSF,

I did both the Southern and the Northern itinerary on the Red Sea Aggressor last week of April, 1st week of May. I'm really glad I was able to do both, if I had to choose one, it would be the Northern route, Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone.

The boat leaves from Port Ghalib (Marsa Alam). For me it was a 3 hour drive from Hurghada, where I flew directly from Zurich. There are flights to Marsa Alam, perhaps only from within Egypt?

The RSA is a very nice boat, has a wonderful crew, the diving is very good. The RSA is 50% off during your stay in July

Good luck, good diving, Craig

This is my first experience in the Red Sea, a northern route with wrecks and reefs. Red Sea September 2016
I can really recommend liveaboard, but next time we will stay 10 days.

Next time, try the BDE (Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone) cruise.

If you love wrecks, Big Brother island is good for you ! (notice that bottom of Numidia is at +/- 250 ft, bottom of Aida "only" at 180 ft).

brothers_islands_plan.gif

If you want to see bigger critters, take a Brothers, Elphinstone, Daedalus trip. Rocky Island and Zabargad also good if included.

You might also enjoy a northern wrecks trip that goes to Thistlegorm, the 4 wrecks at Abu Nuhas, hopefully the Rosalie Muller, maybe even the Salem Express. The Kingston and/or the Dunraven may also be included on a trip like that.

I(...) maybe even the Salem Express. (...)

Not fan of the Salem... I was there when it happenned, dove when there were still luggages, children toys and all personal things; not very funny ambiance ; and there are still bodies inside (not reachable), so, as those people were coming back from Jeddah (Mecca) and thus considered as blessed in the muslim culture, it's seems to me like violate a burial...

Well, you can say the same for nearly all wrecks. But I don't like this one.

I was there the 1st time a good 20 yrs after the accident. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and I noticed the tiny, tiny but beautiful little soft corals and around then teeny tiny fish beginning to gather. I thought it was like flowers beginning to grow in a graveyard. I found it still quite sobering, but a little comforting that nature can make even something like that a little "softer" on the senses.

I do think it's rude to pressure Egyptian guides to make penetration dives if they don't wish to. Especially for Estonians, Swedes & Finns because if they want the Estonia wreck to be a no-dive area, they should respect the wishes of other nations equally much.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom