Red Sea November 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivinLion01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in January I decided to book a trip to the Red Sea to spend a week on a liveaboard and enjoy some great diving.

As you can all imagine based on what is going on over there at the time, I am a little hesitant to actually make the trip. I am no scaredy cat and I do enjoy a good risk or two, but with all that is happening, this trip seems like more risk that I am willing to tolerate. I am flying into Hurghada on 11/1/23 and we spend the day there then onto the boat.

Is anyone else in the same situation? Curious to hear others thoughts on this and what you all would do. I have two teenage daughters and I can't help but think of the "what if's".

If you have any constructive thoughts or if you are there currently let me know what you area thinking. Just seems to me that even though this may be a thoroughly amazing adventure, it's also rather close to the fire...

Although it may look close from afar, there is some distance between Hurghada and Gaza. Also consider that 400 km in Egypt, over the sea and through the Sinai desert is not the same as as 250 miles in North America (e.g. EDH - Bakersfield?)
It is very unlikely that there will be any impact on the tourist areas. Tourism is far too important for Egypt and for the people working in tourism.
There have been security issues in some parts of Egypt since years (Sahara, North Sinai) without impact tourist areas. The remaining risk is the usual risk you take when abroad in a foreign country.
I would not have any issues in travelling to the Red Sea or on a LOB in the next weeks - unfortunately i've already been there this year...
Side note: i first thought you will travel in January... 😁😎

If I had booked a trip, I would go, but probably wouldn't take my son or book another trip right now. No rights or wrongs here, you only have to justify your decision to yourself. It's no fun looking over your shoulder while on holiday.

It isn't an issue. The times we grew up in an now for the region are different galaxies Go and enjoy

@DivinLion01

Try not to worry about it and enjoy your holiday.

I happened to be Diving in Egypt when the uprising happened in 2011, it was fine. I felt perfectly safe.

Tourisim is very important to Egyptians, they will look after you and you will all have a great time.

You won't be anywhere near the area of Egypt that may be impacted by what is going on in Gaza.

Back in January I decided to book a trip to the Red Sea to spend a week on a liveaboard and enjoy some great diving.

As you can all imagine based on what is going on over there at the time, I am a little hesitant to actually make the trip. I am no scaredy cat and I do enjoy a good risk or two, but with all that is happening, this trip seems like more risk that I am willing to tolerate. I am flying into Hurghada on 11/1/23 and we spend the day there then onto the boat.

Is anyone else in the same situation? Curious to hear others thoughts on this and what you all would do. I have two teenage daughters and I can't help but think of the "what if's".

If you have any constructive thoughts or if you are there currently let me know what you area thinking. Just seems to me that even though this may be a thoroughly amazing adventure, it's also rather close to the fire...

I'll arrive also on 1st nov with some friends. On what boat are you going ?

I don't think your daughters will risk anything, just make them aware of the cultural differences.

I was in Israel (Eilat) until the last day before the 1st gulf war, and I only realized the seriousness of the situation when I arrived in Tel Aviv airport. I was on the last flight departing to Europe. The night before, it was still party time in Eilat...

I was also in Egypt when happened Luxor massacre, nov 17, 1997. Abolutely no problem in the Red Sea region. This governorate is financially very important for Egypt and very controlled by the authorities.

I've been in Egypt more than 25 times in the past 30 years, never seen any problem with tourists. Even less when you are on a liveaboard, of course.

I think the risk of an accident is greater when you take your car ...

I just came back from a trip on the Aggressor and had no issues. The transport from Hurghada and back had an armed guard with us. My wife did an inland extension to Luxor and Cairo and they had a guard with them the entire time. We flew SFO to Istanbul to Hurghada and both airports had lots of security check points and was patted down many times. We didn't mind the inconvenience as we felt save.

Hi @DivinLion01 I just completed a week of diving in Marsa Alam. We were there when the situation first started and did not feel unsafe at all. Now we are on a cruise from Luxor to Aswan, then flying home from Cairo. Same feeling of safety. Everyone needs to assess risk on their own terms, but I agree with the majority opinon on this thread thus far.

Best of luck in your decision.

As mentioned, Hurghada is far away from both Israel and Gaza, you probably don't have to worry about that.

I was in Egypt during 1st Gulf war and probably through most of the regional conflicts, then also when President Mubarak was overthrown. Yes sometimes you could feel the tension in the air, others there were literally zero tourists. And yet, the most dangerous thing was always the local driving practice.

However, if you are Israeli I'd probably refrain from travelling anywhere in Egypt at this time.

Sadly, if you are Jewish- even secular and not religious at all- I'd be careful traveling to Egypt at the moment, or at least avoid displaying stuff like necklaces with Star of David etc. although in many instances the family name can identify you.

Egyptians are friendly- very- but in times like this some hothead can pop up out of nowhere.

Safe travels, safe diving

I am in Hurghada right now after a great week of diving. The situation in Gaza and Israel is very difficult, but it is far away from here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom