Red Tide reaches West Palm Beach and other parts of Florida East Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todays news reports that the Red Tide has spread to Dade and Broward as well as Palm Beach. I can't imagine going out and risking the health of me and my friends. I'll be doing something else this weekend

I can't imagine going out and risking the health of me and my friends. I'll be doing something else this weekend

You and me both. I just canceled next weeks trip. Looks like I'm hanging the fins up for a few months.

Vis was about 30', not great, but not bad, out by the ESSO BONAIRE, and a nearby reef. And it was poor to fair it Blue Heron bridge, about 15-25 feet, but that's a shore dive in a tidal area so usually not as good as offshore in average weather.

So my observations may be out of date if the problem is just a couple days old.

here's some info on scuba and red tide....

Is it safe to SCUBA dive during a red tide?
heh. That article cites scubaboard.com as it's #1 source of info on red tide.

That said, I agree with it as I've personally dived in red tide... people make a far bigger deal out of it than necessary.

Low Vis? I guess.. the times I've dived red tide it was an area that always has low vis anyway.
Stinky gear? A little. I always wash my gear after diving anyway (unless I'm on an extended 'dive trip')
Respiratory Irritation? I didn't experience any, and I've got asthma.
Dead fish? Yep, those are gross. I was glad that I dive a skin rather than just shorts. Obviously if you're going diving for the purpose of looking at fish, red tide isn't the time to go.

usia.com:
But What About SCUBA?
Toxic algal blooms are harmless underwater, especially if you are diving offshore. Shore dives can be tougher. The stench can affect sensitive people and they’ll have trouble breathing. Red Tides have a large amount of dead critters, from the plankton itself to other organisms done in by the dearth of oxygen. As this biological matter decays, the smell gets worse and can cause problems for some people breathing it in on the beach. While this reduces visibility in the water, your actually diving in under the water should not be affected.

When diving through a red tide, you will experience low viz, stinky gear (you will have to wash everything thoroughly after you dive) and some respiratory irritation. It won’t damage your gear. As a rule, most people would probably advise against diving in a red tide, but from all the available research, it isn’t harmful.

Dead fish? Yep, those are gross. I was glad that I dive a skin rather than just shorts. Obviously if you're going diving for the purpose of looking at fish, red tide isn't the time to go.

Did you see a lot of dead fish at depth when you dived during the red tide? Just sort of laying all over the bottom?

Did you see a lot of dead fish at depth when you dived during the red tide? Just sort of laying all over the bottom?
There were a few. I'm not sure I'd call it "a lot". There were more dead fish floating than I saw underwater. However, low vis means I only saw the fish on the bottom that were within maybe 3-5 feet of me.

This was in "the boneyard" where we dive for megalodon tooth fossils.

heh. That article cites scubaboard.com as it's #1 source of info on red tide.

That said, I agree with it as I've personally dived in red tide... people make a far bigger deal out of it than necessary.

We are getting known out there!!

It’s always played as a bigger deal to get views. Does it hurt and cause problems for some, yes it does. There was a lady on the news that said she drove down Deerfield beach and rolled down her window and was hit with a wall of stale air plagued with red tide. I drove Deerfield beach Monday (knowing nothing as I was gone all weekend) afternoon windows down as always looking at the water. People all over the beach and fishing off the pier. I didn’t notice anything at all (no mullet even ). Got home and seen the story on local news.

If this causes the state to take a stand and help solve the red tide on the west coast (which is where this came from) I see it as a win.

I went out kiting in the red tide south of Hillsboro Inlet with a crude mask on Tuesday evening. Without one I would have had to leave the beach. Despite that after further research of what is involved, I don't think it was a wise thing to do. Regarding diving, I don't believe it is a good risk either well perhaps without a haz. diving setup, full face mask, dry suit, taped joints, etc.. Some will likely go out regardless of the risks. I would be curious what you see in terms of fish with impaired swim bladders, messed up motor functions from neurological impairment and scavanging on dead and dying fish by sharks and other predators as well as apparent water quality and turbidiy. I would be just as happy if no one exposes themselves to the hazards (potential immune system weakening, DNA mutations (leading to cancer), gastro problems and that is just from the brevitoxin. All that decaying marine life and related conditions may introduce other hazards. But, if you do, it would be useful to learn if you see.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom