Redneck Riviera Beach Diving 8/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So after lunch, Carl and Theresa bid us farewell, and we trussed up Johnathan and drove a circuitous route down Beach Rd to the beachside entrance for the wreck of the Miami.

Seas were still < 1ft, and the water actually looked clearer near the beach than it had at the whiskey wreck, so we called it a go.

We started gearing up as the clouds and rain rolled in, and a bright flash of lightning and immediate loud clap of thunder drove Mat cowering under his lift gate. He was seriously considering not walking to the water with a lightning rod on his back. The threat passed quickly to the north, and we continued our trek.

At the water's edge, I realized I had left my mask in my truck and had to "run" back to get it. I handed Mat the flag, and off he went. Johnathan and I followed closely behind.

The wheel shaft soon appeared followed by its center machinery. The boiler was nearby. Schools of skittish snapper and huge female blue crabs were everywhere. Flounder flitted away, I saw a small spadefish and a burrfish, as well. The wreck's been more uncovered in the past, but it is still fascinating.

Mat sighted a small nurse shark as well. The shark was apparently confused because Mat was in his rec gear and took off before anyone else could see it.

We explored for an hour or so and headed back in. It's amazing dives this interesting are found in snorkeling depths in the redneck riviera.

The three of us parted ways, and I headed back home through some hellacious thunderstorms along I-10.

That was a nasty storm on the way home!
Paul when I go your attention on this wreck there was a funny looking fish but when I turned back around it was gone but there was a small puffer..... I forgot to tell you about.

I had a great time!

That was a nasty storm on the way home!
Paul when I go your attention on this wreck there was a funny looking fish but when I turned back around it was gone but there was a small puffer..... I forgot to tell you about.

I had a great time!

Describe, please, I'm intrigued.

Last edited:
It may have been a different species of puffer that wasn't puffed up. It was unusually long and did not fin constantly like a puffer does. It was a brownish color but I never got to look at it's face.

Not really much of a description but that's all I saw.

It may have been a different species of puffer that wasn't puffed up. It was unusually long and did not fin constantly like a puffer does. It was a brownish color but I never got to look at it's face.

Not really much of a description but that's all I saw.

Did it look like this?
suprbugman.gif

Nope didn't look like that! It had the tank back mounted :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom