Reef damage in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finn Diver -

Thank you for the timely eye-witness update!

I'm going in mid-June, and am hoping to still be able to see mantas or whale sharks, even though it's in a lull period. I am tentatively thinking that I would go to Ari, as I've read (Lonely Planet) that the western atolls would afford the best opportunity for seeing them. So two questions: did you hear talk of what the next couple of months might bring & what the diving might be like in that region then, and secondly, would you care to share the name of the island you went to that had the beautiful chorals?

Thanks for your time!

We were in South Ari over Easter, roughly 5 weeks ago. This was our third Maldives trip, all in Ari atoll area, over the past 3 years. I'll echo what was said above. The corals are great. I have only dove the Caribbean once and it was the dominican (so not great) but we are going to Mexico in the fall and I'm going through all of the research and photos now. Based on the photos I'm seeing, the Maldives has better coral than Cozumel and the surrounding area. I'm not a coral nut so my pictures don't do them justice nor focus on the coral (mostly the coral is background to the fish), but I've shared a few from this latest 2 trips (2014, 2015).

The corals in the Maldives tend to be hard corals more than not. There are lots of antler and staghorn corals, a fair amount of brain corals, and other ones I don't know the names of. There are also gorgonians, whips, and soft stuff too depending on the dive. In my experience though, there is coral everywhere whereas the Caribbean seems a lot of rock with coral thrown in.

Thanks,
rick

P4031290%20-%20Version%202.jpg

P4031281%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

P4031295%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

P3301152%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

IMG_5081%20-%20Version%202.jpg

IMG_5100%20-%20Version%202.jpg

IMG_5297%20-%20Version%202.jpg

IMG_5346%20-%20Version%202.jpg

IMG_5377%20-%20Version%202.jpg

IMG_5381%20-%20Version%202.jpg

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

Finn Diver -

I'm going in mid-June, and am hoping to still be able to see mantas or whale sharks, even though it's in a lull period. I am tentatively thinking that I would go to Ari, as I've read (Lonely Planet) that the western atolls would afford the best opportunity for seeing them. So two questions: did you hear talk of what the next couple of months might bring & what the diving might be like in that region then, and secondly, would you care to share the name of the island you went to that had the beautiful chorals?

Thanks for your time!

BB,

In 2014 we went at the end of May. We saw 1 manta at the beginning and then none. It gets hit or miss that time of year for Ari Atoll I am told. We were at Moofushi in 2014 and Athuruga this year (you can see one from the other). All of the whale sharks were at the south of the atoll, so if that is your focus then I would stay further south.

This year it was a different time of year, but we saw a couple mantas.

thanks,
rick

Finn Diver -

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

did not her about next months, but what I have read the low season "summer months" can be even better for mantas & whale sharks, of course depending of the dive site and luck. I would not hesitate to go to Maldives in June-August.

I am sure that every dive guide has some secret places and maybe it is best to let them reveal them...(I am sure you understand).

I hope you you have a nice time. Maldives is a really beautiful and peaceful place to dive.

Hi Rick
from your Athuruga trip can you tell me
who is the dive operator is it ' I Dive'
do they let you dive the house reef unguided as on Thudafusi (sister island )they wouldn't allow
do they have nice late boat departures like 9-30 and 3-0 ? I do love Italian islands
nice pics what camera do you use?
Keith

Hello - thinking of going this summer and was wondering what you experienced. Would appreciate any information you have

We are in the Maldives right now. Today. Unfortunately it is raining cats and dogs at the moment, so no diving today :(
Yesterday, however we had two stunning dives, first one at Gemanafushi Channel. We saw about 4-6 Mantas and some sharks, the current was very mild, I guess that's why there was not more action. The second dive was at a Thila (don't remember the exact name), it had the largest coral garden I have ever seen. Hard corals consisting of Acropora and Montipora as far as you could see, very very impressive. Mountains and slopes of hard coral, healthy and vibrant, no signs of damage whatsoever. This site also had quite a few turtles, including the biggest turtle we have ever seen.
We are staying at the Park Hyatt on Hadahaa Atoll and the house reef is quite amazing aswell.....

Hoping for dive weather for tomorrow, please keep your fingers crossed for us :)

Hi Rick
from your Athuruga trip can you tell me
who is the dive operator is it ' I Dive'
do they let you dive the house reef unguided as on Thudafusi (sister island )they wouldn't allow
do they have nice late boat departures like 9-30 and 3-0 ? I do love Italian islands
nice pics what camera do you use?
Keith

hi keith,

yes it is the same team from thudufushi- idive. I think normal dive times are 9:30 and 2:30. When we were there they were running three trips- 8:30, 11:30, and 2:30 because there were emough divers on the island to support it. I don't think they allow unguided on the house reef. We didn't ask though.

i shoot an olympus epl-1 in the olympus housing and an olympus strobe. Most shots were with the 9-18 lens behind a zen done.

rick

Back
Top Bottom