Reef Seekers 11/4, Great Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK:
2) Most of the boats in L.A. do not pump Nitrox on the boats, so as a result if you show up with a Nitrox filled tank for dive 1, and when you need a fill afterwards you'll be pumping regular old into a Nitrox tank;
The boats I frequent do... which is one reason I frequent them. :wink: Ex: Peace, Magician.

As for the second part, this strikes me as an issue only if you are trying to maintain an oxygen-clean tank (for use with PP blending methods, vs. membrane or stik). And the issue then would apply air or nitrox... no local boat I know of hyper-filters their plain air to modified grade E standards anyway, so you'd be nuts to bring that tank on the boat anyway, even for air. The Sea Bass may be an exception, as I think they use PP blending for their Nitrox. That said, I wouldn't get Nitrox on the Sea Bass, as I don't have the patience (or spare tanks) for oxy clean and PP blending... I'd rather just dive air than deal with that hassle.

[deleted after consideration]

Anyway, this is besides the point. Sounds like a fun trip regardless.

Well after all this it looks like we may not make it on this trip, hopefully we can make the 11/12 boat to Catalina.

CompuDude:
As for the second part, this strikes me as an issue only if you are trying to maintain an oxygen-clean tank (for use with PP blending methods, vs. membrane or stik).

I'm just passing along what I understand Ken's position to be. FTR, I don't agree with his position so defending it is well beyond the scope of my abilities. I've tried for years to pin Ken down as to why after all of these years he still refuses to allow Nitrox, but I swear to God I still can't figure out where he stands. I know that he won't let you use Nitrox, but in all honesty, I don't know why..

MHK:
The Great Escape does NOT

Lastly, the way Ken runs his trip are that they have gate times wherein you need to be "back on the boat", if everyone follows the gate times you usually get 4 dives. If everyone shows up late you'll only get 3 dives.

With Gate Times and Be Back Times, if you are geared up and ready to go when the gate opens, most likely, you will have a nice 45-60 minute dive. Reefseekers generally attempts 3 dive locations with the third location have the longest gate time making it possible to have a really long third dive, or two short dives.

It is impearative that eveyone be back on the boat, in order for the boat to move to it's next location. One buddy team being late can mess it up for the rest of the group.

Another thing to remember too, if you are last coming up the swim step, you are most likely be the last one to have your tank filled for the next dive in fairness to the other divers.

As it turns out, I will not be on the SBI trip, since I will be attending the Who that night.:crafty:

MHK:
I'm just passing along what I understand Ken's position to be. FTR, I don't agree with his position so defending it is well beyond the scope of my abilities. I've tried for years to pin Ken down as to why after all of these years he still refuses to allow Nitrox, but I swear to God I still can't figure out where he stands. I know that he won't let you use Nitrox, but in all honesty, I don't know why..
Understood. Thanks for the info. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom