Reef Swim-Through Dangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the DM is responsible for the safety of the group he is leading, especially of they are relatively inexperienced. If I knew enough not to do what the DM says is OK, I wouldn't need him in the first place. You seem to be saying that it's fine to go through the training and certification where you taught to follow the briefing and DM instructions, but if they are wrong , it's your fault.
Actually, in private (nobody else is reading this, just you and me) I happen to agree: I feel responsible for the group I am leading and it can sometimes be an unnerving situation.:blinking:

However, I am not responsible for your actions legally although I may be responsible legally for what I do or do not do in a given situation.

The reason that we follow agency standards is to protect ourselves legally. The balloon goes up, we followed SOPs (that's been pretty standard in any line of work in my life, not only diving).

On briefing and instructions, we try to give a clear briefing and to run through basics quickly and clearly (see how flight attendants, do it?) it's up to you to pay attention or not and make your dive plan with your buddy within the general overall dive plan that I outline.

For better or for worse this is recreational diving. That means if you want to go off with your buddy and do your own thing, that's your business. If you want to stick close and have special attention, let me know quietly before we get anywhere near the dive site and you will get it. No extra charge, quite the contrary, it's a pleasure. We (DMs) like to feel useful.

By giving me your input you assist me in making a better plan for all and looking at alternative buddy pairs (for those who don't have one) or dive teams.

We could talk about knowing enough or not to follow or not follow the DM in another post?

But do tell, what do they say?
"Well, you guys certainly have a perfect easy life. Wish I could live like you!"Believe me, these people have no idea. :rofl3:

I have 15 dives under my belt (not including OW checkout dives), and I have had 3 instances of swimthru / caverns. The first was on my 5th dive when my wife and I dove First Cathedral off Lanai (bloody spectacular, you must go). It is a large lava dome with one big (10' x 10') entrance and at least 3 exits, one in the roof and 2 to the sides, not including the entrance. The inside is large enough for 8 or so divers to swim around and not bump into each other. Not once did I feel claustrophobic or nervous, simply because I knew at every time where an exit was. In Cancun I did two swimthrus, both of which I was slightly nervous about, however both turned out to be rather easy. My wife declined to do either one. Both were about 15' long and as soon as I entered, I could see the exit. If the swimthru were any longer, or I couldn't have seen the exit, I would have been worried.

In all of these situations I could either see the exit or knew of multiple exits and someone (buddy or DM) was never more than 15 feet away from me. I was not nervous or worried, but cautious and calm as I am on every dive.

I work as a guide for the Cathedrals dive mentioned in the post above, nearly every day we do one of the Cathedrals (1 or 2). There is a 45 minute boat ride across the channel. I know of no company doing those dives that does not interview each diver with regard to their diving history and certification level (plenty of time to talk story).

Our Captain goes over emergency recall and surfacing after a minute if separated from the group. The site briefings usually mention the option of not going into the overhead, but some groups are obviously not worried about that so on occasion it might not be mentioned.

There are many caverns / swim throughs where really cool stuff can only be found inside, like lobsters, sharks, rare shrimp and much more :)

You have to be ready to call a dive, or skip a portion, if you feel it is beyond your limits or comfort zone. Even if your buddy gets mad, or you lose some money. Take care of yourself first, because nobody but you cares as much about you.
And that's just it. On one live aboard I was on, the dive was to 45m or so - there was something good to see down there at that depth. I didn't feel I had any business going that deep and I didn't go - and I wouldn't go.

You can't blame anyone for making you do something you didn't want to do. If you don't want to do something, man-up and say so.

Back
Top Bottom