Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zerogravity89

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a good reel, mainly for SMB deployment from depth, but maybe also in wrecks. Have so far been using a finger spool, but I would like a reel that I can lock. What does everyone use? Any suggestions?

Lot's of stuff out there. But I trust my life to three reels.

1. Salvo Primary (which I own)
2. Halcyon Pathfinder which is nearly identical to the Salvo
3. Ralph Hood/Larry Green reels which are exceptional.

I wouldn't buy anything else personally.

I have the Halcyon Pathfinder reel, which I liked slightly better than the Salvo, because I liked the feel of the aluminum handle, and I liked the SS lock screw. The Ralph Hood reels are nice, too.

I have used the Larry Green/Ralph Hood reel and prefer it.

The approaches are different. The Salvo and Halcyon reels use a much more closed design with gaps that are small enough to preclude the line wrapping around shaft between the spool and frame. It works for the most part as you really have to work at it to make it happen, but if it ever does, you'll need tools to fix it. (and I only know of a couple cases where that has happened.)

The Larry Green and Ralph Hood reel uses a very open design where if and/or when you end up with back lash, it is very simple and easy to see and to fix even with gloves on - unless you are a total DS and really bird nest it.

Ralph Hood reels

Larry Green reels

They use a nylon screw for friction and it works very well with a great deal of adjustment from just a bit of restance to what amounts to a complete lock. Some divers note the nylon expands in water and have replaced the screw with SS. I have never noted the problem, but then I don't leave my reels in place for weeks and I am leery of screwing up the edge of the reel with a harder metal screw bearing against it.

The only other potential negative is the attached bolt snap. Some divers prefer a double ender, but it is easy to retrofit if you don't want the attached bolt snap.

They are dirt simple and very durable and that appeals to my HOG roots and the side handle design is great for general use or when carrying reel and backup light in the same hand.

The bad news is that I have not seen them stocked outside of Florida so fro most divers it ends up being an e-mail purchase with no ability to try it before you buy it. Of course, when I tried one in N Fl. I immediately cancelled my order for a Halcyon reel.

Yea, the attached bolt snap was a big turn off and I didn't want to fashion up a solution. But it was smooooth as butter! Really nicely done.

A guy I work with has the Halcyon, might borrow it for a dive and see how it is. Can't seem to find anyone here who has a Ralph Hood/Larry Green, might be hard to find here in Playa? Thanks for all the responses!

DIR people don't like them. but Manta reels are pretty nifty. Once you use one, you' kind of fall in love with it. I had a bunch of different reels at different times but I ended up giving them all away once I got a Manta.

And students cannot foul it which is a really, really nice feature. Wasted time unfouling reels instead of instructing students is a major PITA. (assuming your instructor badge means you are actively instructing)

The Larry Green Reel does the trick. Stay far, far way from the Dive Rite sidewinder. It jams way too easily and it's cumbersome to use. I haven't tried the Ralph hood, but it almost looks exactly like the Larry Green by the pictures here. Which one is cheaper?

Looking for a good reel, mainly for SMB deployment from depth, but maybe also in wrecks. Have so far been using a finger spool, but I would like a reel that I can lock. What does everyone use? Any suggestions?

I've been using Dive Rite cavern reels (I carry 2 and so does my buddy) for diving wrecks and they've been working just fine.

A couple of guys I know have the really big Lola reels for wreck and ice diving and they're exceptional but they're Czech and may not be available in the States.

As for shooting a blob.... a spool is the right tool for the job, not a reel. You can "lock" a spool too... you just a double-ender and 15 seconds of instruction.

R..

I've been using Dive Rite cavern reels (I carry 2 and so does my buddy) for diving wrecks and they've been working just fine.

A couple of guys I know have the really big Lola reels for wreck and ice diving and they're exceptional but they're Czech and may not be available in the States.

As for shooting a blob.... a spool is the right tool for the job, not a reel. You can "lock" a spool too... you just a double-ender and 15 seconds of instruction.

R..
hat do you think of dive rite primaries for general use, the 400 ft #24 line

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom