refilling tanks with a compressor......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan once bubbled...
Aluminum CO2 paintball tanks are rated to 1800 psi. Obviously, hooking that up to a SCUBA tank filled to 3000 psi will probably make you and whoever owns the building you're in very very unhappy.
Maybe, maybe not.
Isn't 3000psi hydro pressure for an 1800 tank?

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Maybe, maybe not.

Shhh. If we tell him that, he might skip the "buy a 3000 psi paintball tank" park and go for the $50 adapter :wink:

Just so I have this clear......you are hinting that one might want to put 3000 psi( varies with temperature) into a tank rated for 1800 psi, figuring the 1800 nominal tank probably was hydro's at 3k?..

In the Doing In Yourself Section!

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Maybe, maybe not.

Yep.........5/3 the working pressure..

Just so I have this clear......you are hinting that one might want to put 3000 psi( varies with temperature) into a tank rated for 1800 psi, figuring the 1800 nominal tank probably was hydro's at 3k?..

In the Doing In Yourself Section!

They are much more work than I think it is worth though. Never fill a Co2 tank with High Pressure Air! Never fill any tank over its rated pressure! :boom: :boom: That could get real ugly.
The hand pump runs $149 plus shipping and any adaptors you need. They are designed for filling the small air tubes on pellet rifles and are NOT for breathing air or filling larger tanks.
www.airetex.com

:shakehead:I can't see why if you able to decant from a scuba cylinder to a refillable co2 cartridge and can regulate the pressure and stop the decant at 800psi why it would be dangerous?

This thread is almost 5 years old.

But to answer your question, a CO2 tank is not the same as a scuba tank. CO2 is contained in liquid form when in the tank, so the actual pressure is quite low, while the gas density is very high.
This is why CO2 fills are normally measured in "pounds" rather than PSI... they are physically measuring the weight of the gas being put into the tank.

Yes, you could safely fill a CO2 tank with air to 800psi, however, the gas density is so low that you would not get much use out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom