Reflections on Vortex Springs with Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to get rid of everything in the spring that is not natural ie. the man made caves. I want to put some cypress logs and more natural looking stuff in the basin. The rocks, however, I can not remove without specific permitting from the dep, and they do lend a hand to keeping the silt down. The carpets are being moved under one of the docks and then will find their final resting place in the dumpster. I am looking into if I should just tile all the lodges or bulldoze the lot of them and build new. I have the scrap metal people here this week removing all the junk and scrap metal so the place is looking cleaner.

Kudos for your efforts. I've never dove there, just visited. I may hit it a few times this Summer. (Possibly in April too.)

Hello to those that do not know me yet, I am Shane the new manager of Vortex and those that do hope to see you soon. The air system that you see there is 26 500cf tanks 6000psi. Four of the tanks are being used for banked Nitrox, the other 22 are split into two banks of 11. The plan is to add 26 tanks a year (for hydro purposes)ending with 4 banks of 22 for air and 4 banks of 4 for nitrox.

If you complete all that, you'll have a kick-ass-bank-system that will be the envy of all the other dive operations...

question though.... you going to do the fills in that warehouse (metal building) or over under Grandview, beside the shop or where?

I am looking into if I should just tile all the lodges or bulldoze the lot of them and build new. .

I think mostly they just need to be cleaned, santized, roach bombed, and then updated. For the condition (cleanliness and smell) they were in during the past I didn't think they were a good value. The structure and layout wasn't bad.

However, it sounds like you are trying to take the right steps to correct all this, so we all welcome that and look forward to the positive changes for divers. I know it can't be done all overnight..... But I for one would like to thank you for it. Because if you weren't don't it, it might just not be getting done by anyone and might even be closed for diving...... so thanks. :D

And if it isn't apparent already, the local SCUBA community WILL support you as you clean the place up. I hope the business gamble works out for you. I'll certainly add Vortex back to a place I'll dive in the future. I do want to have a looksee in that cave.

Man ...I haven't dove Vortex since the late 70's early 80's. Looks like things are REALLY shaping up !!

MJ

If you complete all that, you'll have a kick-ass-bank-system that will be the envy of all the other dive operations...

question though.... you going to do the fills in that warehouse (metal building) or over under Grandview, beside the shop or where?

I have new fill stations being shipped from Bauer this week and they will be located when the existing stations are now. The new stations will be much safer that what we have now.

I think mostly they just need to be cleaned, santized, roach bombed, and then updated. For the condition (cleanliness and smell) they were in during the past I didn't think they were a good value. The structure and layout wasn't bad.

However, it sounds like you are trying to take the right steps to correct all this, so we all welcome that and look forward to the positive changes for divers. I know it can't be done all overnight..... But I for one would like to thank you for it. Because if you weren't don't it, it might just not be getting done by anyone and might even be closed for diving...... so thanks. :D

I'm doing what I can with what I have available. I love the sport and I want to turn this place back into a dive location that people want to visit (not have to visit because the gulf is blown out).

Now that there is a thing of beauty, that is :D
Rick
the new compressors and air system that he has installed....
77.jpg

1717.jpg

1818.jpg

2525.jpg

I am trying to get rid of everything in the spring that is not natural ie. the man made caves. I want to put some cypress logs and more natural looking stuff in the basin. The rocks, however, I can not remove without specific permitting from the dep, and they do lend a hand to keeping the silt down. The carpets are being moved under one of the docks and then will find their final resting place in the dumpster. I am looking into if I should just tile all the lodges or bulldoze the lot of them and build new. I have the scrap metal people here this week removing all the junk and scrap metal so the place is looking cleaner.

Every bit of that seems to me, would be an improvement - thats awesome! :crafty:
I do want to have a looksee in that cave.

Its acutally quite nice past the gate! :D

Wow, I am SO impressed! My ex- and I camped and dived there about 7-ish years ago and we thought the place was a pigsty...both camping and diving. We thought it was a shame that such a terrific place was so run down and filthy. You can bet that next time I'm up in your area I'll give y'all another try!

WILD fill station, quite impressive!

Congratulations!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom