Refresher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
My fiance has her open water card but has not been on a dive for a number of years. Does she really need a refresher?? She says she feels that she would be very comfortable going on a 40ft dive tomorrow. Any advice??

Some charters/dive shops actually care about when your last dive was. So if you are headed on vacation somewhere, taking the refresher might prevent some headaches.

take a refresher course
Its amazing what you will actually forget in just one year

But then again, its also amazing the things you will remember one year later

Better to work out things you've forgotten in 6 feet of pool water rather than 40ft of ocean water.

Besides, if she's hesitant, you can take it with her (or just be in the pool) and practice things that you want to work on.

It would be safer. Do you like your finace...? :eyebrow:

My last dive last year was in late October. About six weeks ago I got in the pool to do a personal "tune-up". No doubt about it----I was rusty and certainly not on top of the game.
She really should take a refresher or at least spend an hour or so in a pool getting her sea legs again.

Last year my wife and I paid about $35 each at the Occidental Allegro in Cozumel for a refresher course. We got about a half our lecture, a half hour in the pool and our instructor baby sat us on our first dive (to about 60 ft). I'm not sure if every resort has this, but it was well worth it.

actually, a 40 feet dive sounds like a good "refresher" dive for her, assuming the conditions are safe (no high waves, surge, etc.).

i would plan the dive accordingly, with the understanding that she will call the dive immediately if she doesn't feel comfortable. if she doesn't feel comfortable by the end of the dive, then maybe it's time to think about a more formal "refresher" course.

if she does feel comfortable, and things go well, then she's taken her first step into getting back in shape. i would do a few more "easy" dives, and then start increasing the level of complexity. one of those early dives should be a "skill" refresher of the basics: air sharing, hand signals, basic buddy formation, etc.

this is, of course, just my opinion. i find that after a couple of
months off, my first dive is a bit "rusty" but atfer that things just click again.

Refresher at least, if she hasn't dived in a while-but also to consider-how much diving did she do before she stopped diving??!! If it has been more than a couple years and didn't do much diving before that I would recommend going through another OW course. I definately wouldn't suggest she go make a 40' dive. Pool dive first at the bare min.

Any and all of my students are welcome to come back for a free refresher in an O/W class. Give your instructor a shout and see what he/she says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom