Reg for semi-cold beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaexplorer

Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been beaten to death ( I wasn't able to get my answers via searching old threads ...)

I'm looking for suggestions for a good regulator setup for sandy beach diving. I will frequently be in sandy environments and the water will usually be between 45F to 65F. My max depths will typically be no more than 80'. It is also important for me to have the regulator function properly when upside down.

I've narrowed down to 3 manufacturers: Apeks, Atomic, and Scubapro. I'm willing to spend $$$ to get the best.

Some say the SP has freeflow problems ... others say Apeks doesn't breath as good as the SP, but is environmentaly sealed ... still others say Atomic breaths great, but isnt suited for sandy conditions.

Anyone have suggestions for a great setup for the conditons I will dive? Thank you.

It has in fact been beaten to death - numerous times. Despite your unsuccessful search, there are numerous threads on the above regs and asking the question yet again the way you asked borders on trolling.

In short, regs from any of the three companies you mention will provide excellent service in the conditions you desrcibe, whihc are not real demanding.

SP freeflow problems are restricted to the MK 25, usually in conjunction with the S600 and are only an issue below 45 degree, not above it. Wet breathing inverted is most affected by the exhaust valve placement in the second stage and is a problem for most regs with a conventional layout.

Regulators with an exhaust valve mounted coaxially in the diaphragm are normally the best way to achive a dry breathing reg in unusual attitudes. The SP D400 was very good in nearly any position as was the Dacor Quantum but both have been discontinued.

Take a look at the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme !

Seaexplorer:
My apologies if this has already been beaten to death ( I wasn't able to get my answers via searching old threads ...)

I'm looking for suggestions for a good regulator setup for sandy beach diving. I will frequently be in sandy environments and the water will usually be between 45F to 65F. My max depths will typically be no more than 80'. It is also important for me to have the regulator function properly when upside down.

I've narrowed down to 3 manufacturers: Apeks, Atomic, and Scubapro. I'm willing to spend $$$ to get the best.

Some say the SP has freeflow problems ... others say Apeks doesn't breath as good as the SP, but is environmentaly sealed ... still others say Atomic breaths great, but isnt suited for sandy conditions.

Anyone have suggestions for a great setup for the conditons I will dive? Thank you.
If these are the only companies you are willing to consider and $$$ isn't a concern, I'd look at the Atomic M1. It has the sealed first stage and breathes as good as all the Atomic.
As DA Aquamaster mentioned before, the conditions you've named aren't the most demanding and almost all regs from all bigger companies would get you safely over these conditions.
I'd suggest making your decision after trying couple of them and seeing for yourself how they breath. Each of them will deliver air in a different manor and you may prefer it in a certain way.
That said there are more great regs:Mares and Aqualung, just to name two :wink:

Thanks to all for the input. I'll also look into the other mentioned brands.

To DA Aquamaster,
I'll try again to search for "the numerous threads" that discuss regulators that are well suited for sandy beach diving. I'll also re-examine how I could have asked this without appearing as a borderline troll -- I honestly thought I asked quite politely for my first ever question here. Thanks your your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom