Regs on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holly thread resurrection Batman! :rofl3:

anyway the answer is: carryon...never had a problem with the regs, however they did insist in checking out the SMB and proceeded to unroll every inch of it to full extent lol...then a dumb look followed by "what is this?"

holly thread resurrection... :rofl3:

tumblr_mekgbkMJ1r1qi77y6.jpg

I've always carried-on my regs and a few years often had to do the unzip for them. For the more recent few years haven't had a single problem anywhere. So imagine my surprise in San Francisco a few weeks ago. I've got trusted traveller status, regardless, pulled over and had a very bad go through. The young lady was trying to yard my regs out whereupon I protested "hey! Take it easy, if you have to completely unpack my bag then do so but don't be yarding at my life support gear! " she says can I hurt it? Duh. Then she made a crack about how I should have packed differently, obviously not realizing I'd packed my clothes around the regs in that way to protect them. It was very difficult for me to keep my cool but I managed, um, for the most part. :)

While it is not nice to spend time getting annoyed by security people, I learned a harsh lesson about what happens when the airline decided to send my luggage to Marseille in France instead of Egypt. Amongst others my perscription mask was in there. Up on arrival a bus ride was planned of six ours to the South of Egypt where in the middle of nowhere we'd embark on a ship. So I needed to rent a complete set in a village where diving was just starting. I went with three supporters to more than 5 shops to get gear, which later on would also have to be returned of course. Imagine my size 12 feet in a country of dwarfs. Luckily in my group was a guy who had week contacts, about my strenght, so that solved the mask issue. All in all the bus and my 16 fellow travellers had to wait for three hours to get everything sorted out for me. So since then everything that is vital like mask, camera, reg's go in the carry on. As diving the globe is now more commonplace then when this happened I never get a question but for the aluminium housing of my camera which shows up as a lump of metal the size of a shoe box.

Taking the mask on carry-on is a good point. I have a prescription mask as well. During a trip a couple of years ago I dropped it on the ground while I was getting kitted up and one of the lenses shattered. Talk about bad luck. I rented a mask but I made 20-odd dives virtually unable to read my gauges.

Fortunately (knock on wood) my dive gear has never been misplaced enroute but it's good to think about what you can't live without when deciding what to carry on!

R..

The whole aircraft is pressurized.... Only the very rear tail section, aft of the bulkhead and wings are not.. The ink of it like a scuba tank with wings... And hand carry regs and computers... Even the brain dead TSA guys really can't hurt them ..

Jim...

Back
Top Bottom