Regulator Bungee Necklace, safe or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quickly depends on a lot of factors and your definition of quick, but effectively means a properly adjusted suicide strap so you can reach it by looking down and grabbing it with a combo of your tongue and lips.
That's the way not easy but is a technique

Just on a side note - with 2x long hoses - how are you guys tucking them in to be streamlined ? An honest question as it was a PITA for me - photos would be great -

how did you tuck them in?

both would basically look like the bottom bottle here
xtcompsidemount.jpg

This is my setup with double long hoses
Crop 1.1.jpg
Crop 2.1.jpg

I prefer the stuffed right hand long hose and bungied 2nd short hose off my left cylinder when diving OC sidemount. But I'm not going into no-mount caves where stuffed hoses are more prone to catching on stuff. I don't dive with OOA ninjas :)

When diving my backmount CCR with 2 sidemounted bailouts I have added a 2nd long hose on the left hand cylinder. I really only plan for "1 major" failure. So I can in theory share gas from either SM cylinder with another diver. I donate the right cylinder first since the left supplies dil and wing gas to me even if I'm not breathing it. I could stand to practice all of this more (esp while scootering) but I just don't have the buddies who are interested.

Ouch -- this is a problem I haven't planned to handle, one that my venerable Mares Abyss second-stages make difficult to handle. The "vortex assist" tube gets in the way of fitting a necklace on the mouthpiece-tube, and when I tried a molded OMS necklace on the mouthpiece, it interferes with my lips' seal (and it's uncomfortable).

Maybe I should go to 3/16 surgical tubing for the necklace? It might interfere less with my lips' seal, and still pull off of the mouthpiece in case of a panic-grab. Perhaps I ought to try it.

Ouch -- this is a problem I haven't planned to handle, one that my venerable Mares Abyss second-stages make difficult to handle. The "vortex assist" tube gets in the way of fitting a necklace on the mouthpiece-tube, and when I tried a molded OMS necklace on the mouthpiece, it interferes with my lips' seal (and it's uncomfortable).

If it's a fixed necklace, place it under the cable-tie holding the mouthpiece.
If it's not a fixed necklace you want, just make 2 knots and pull it tight-ish so that the necklace is on the cable-tie holding the mouthpiece.

I don't see how the tube would get in the way? (I don't have such a reg handy, so I'm basing my suggestions on google images.)

As for the whole "long hose, no long hose, 2 long hoses", I dive solo and still have a long hose and my necklace (simply because I never saw any big issue with not having my 2 regs on short hoses). I did consider a setup with 2 long hoses as I'm not comfortable with the idea of handing a reg I'm not breathing (and especially with handing a reg that has 2 spots), but that was when I had buddies with no redundancy.
I didn't put too much thought in such a setup, I couldn't figure a way that would not cross hoses and still wrap around, which I consider the best way as it keeps the hoses away and makes sure there's a decent length available when needed.

If you're into "technical" diving, I don't see a sudden need to be able to hand a reg, we all have at least one other source of air.

Here's a little hack that helps better hold a removeable necklace (rubber or bungee) on the regulator. You can get these from Scubapro dealers... as an alternative to zip-ties. "Scubapro Reusable Mouthpiece Clip for regulators"

They give a little 'bump' which tends to stop the necklace popping off so easily. Fit it with the locking mechanism on top.

Hope that makes sense.

Scubapro-re-usable-Mouthpiece-Clip_large.jpg

Here's a little hack that helps better hold a removeable necklace (rubber or bungee) on the regulator. You can get these from Scubapro dealers... as an alternative to zip-ties. "Scubapro Reusable Mouthpiece Clip for regulators"

They give a little 'bump' which tends to stop the necklace popping off so easily. Fit it with the locking mechanism on top.

Hope that makes sense.

Scubapro-re-usable-Mouthpiece-Clip_large.jpg
Thanks ... it sorta makes sense.

I'm using "Cobra Ties," a brand of low-profile zip-ties, for my mouthpiece zip-ties. For me, they're more comfortable and out-of-the-way, for anyplace where I need to use a zip-tie.

What I see as a potential problem, with my rig, is that I've set up the croakie on my left-tank regulator so it WON'T pull off; i.e. it's set up for MY convenience, not for that of a panicking OOA diver. If said diver is in front of me, I might be able to unclip and purge my RH-tank reg and stuff it into his/her mouth...

I don't dive in caves so I offer no advise in that realm. I do dive open water and wrecks. I started with a 7' right and short bungied left. It made sense to me because I was diving back mount that way, but I was never settled on the air share situation in SM. This year I switched to two 5' hoses and don't see changing this. It is no extra work for me when doing reg switches and gas sharing is always the same. I donate the reg I am breathing whether in SM or back mount, no matter which reg I am breathing.

Back
Top Bottom