Regulator care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High failure rates after service can only really be technician error.
+1 for following manufacturer guidelines, I service my gear every 100 dives.

This is double talk....the high rate of failure after service is done by the very factory trained people (or at least they are supposed to be) that you are suggesting do the work following manuf guidelines. There is no evidence that regs properly used and cleaned require anywhere near the amount of service that any manufacturer recommends. On the contrary, empirical evidence from people who DIY service suggest a much longer interval is in order. Most anyone who has serviced and maintained mechanical gear are believers in "if it's not broke, don't fix it" philosophy for a good reason- when you do, "fix it" often times you end up introducing problems and at the very least you increase wear and tear and waste money. Wear/time related problems with equipment most often will give indications of future issues. These indications are easily observed, like checking your IP on a regular basis. Diver regulators are simple and very reliable devices and age/use problems usually start very gradually and increase over a fairly long period. Simple IP checks show the early stages of failure, indicating when service is needed. You also have to understand that servicing is a cash cow for dive shops and dive manufs. Service kits that retail for $20-40 are very high profit items with an actual cost of a few dollars. Quality orings purchased in 100 count bags are 2 to 3 cents each, HP seat and filters are a few dollars each- some much less. Simple flow by piston first stages can be completely serviced for less than $1 in parts, same is true for most second stages. Some shops have full time service staff, most do not. Instead, they are owners or sales people who would use reg repair as fill work between customers...ever wonder why it takes several weeks to get a reg serviced when the actual work is an hour or less. I am not suggesting a reg never needs service or that very long intervals are a good idea but every 1 or 2 years, esp on regs that have way less than 100 dives on them is simply not necessary.

I do about 150 dives a year, all in the ocean. I have my regs serviced every two years. I think that even if you only do 50 or so dives a year, I would not necessarily push past two years. I certainly see no value or need to service every year, even if it is a "condition of warranty". Most of these warranties (like free parts) are not worth the expense of paying for the labor. Of our membership of about 200 in our club, I doubt that anyone gets their regs serviced every year.

By the way, I have never had one of my regs fail (only one I borrowed once) in the 25 years I have been diving.

Totally agree. The yearly service for warranty is more to do with LDS making money more than demonstrated requirement to prevent failure. If regulators are so badly built to require servicing yearly then I believe they should be taken off the market. All my regulators get a service "when indicating a potential fault", or if purchased second hand and their condition is not clearly apparent to me.

This means to me maybe every 5 years or so (to date anyway) with no issues, and the costs stay significantly lower for me. I also minimise the chance to be ripped off by dodgy servicing.

The high incidence of regulator failure immediately after service may suggest otherwise. Frequent checking of the IP will go a long way to indentifying problems.
failure after servicing ? you must be doing it yourself Glenn .................

i find it interesting when i read responses saying "if aint broke don't fix it."

It is not hard to tell who is personally profiting from a dive shop operation and fully willing to participate in bilking divers for unnecessary service. The truth is that if yo9u don't take good care of your regulator after diving, then even a year service interval is too long to avoid performance problems or even damage due to salt and corrosion. But it you do take care, you should be inspecting your regs often and thinking in terms of 3 to 5 years before a full service is needed.

I get my regulators serviced once a year. I like the idea of having it checked regularly. You should follow the manufacturer's recommendations on servicing intervals.

After a dive I swish the regulators around and let them soak for a few minutes in fresh water.

I get my regulators serviced once a year. I like the idea of having it checked regularly. You should follow the manufacturer's recommendations on servicing intervals.

After a dive I swish the regulators around and let them soak for a few minutes in fresh water.

With that kind of post dive care, annual servicing is a good idea.

With that kind of post dive care, annual servicing is a good idea.

What? Are you suggesting my methods are a bit rough. I'll have you know that my regulators work well - most of the time. When they get stuck I simply use the yellow one. I find that if you give them a sharp knock on the deck when you get back onto the boat it tends to loosen things up a bit and they're fine for a while. :wink:

Seriously, if you want to give them a more thorough clean soak them in warm water for an hour and then give them a rinse. With the Aqualung providing the dust cap is firmly in place you should be fine soaking the first and second stage. For further reading on the matter: http://www.aqualung.com/pdfs/AqualungRgltrOM.pdf.

Some regulators have a harder life than others, Dive centre hire gear for example is often in terrible condition. Tec divers regs flooded from shut down drills, or a staged cylinder leaking down.
Manufacturers take this into consideration when recommending service intervals, I think its more a public liability thing/ being confident to stand behind their products than making money from servicing.
If your regs never flood, get washed well after every dive then sure you may get longer time between servicing but i know how hard I treat my gear and so i keep it short.
Then there is those doing extreme deep dives (250-300m+), this can destroy some HP seats in very few dives and thats why manufacturers recommend a max depth to their regs.
At the end of the day it depends on the diving you do but if manufacturer recommendations are followed and service is done by not only a qualified but a skilled tech then you can be 99% sure a reg will not fail, you can't do this following your own schedule or using cowboy techs.
IMHO....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom