Regulator Choice Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman provided some nice information around servicing and parts and more importantly problems around the SR-1. This is very good information and I would rather look at the older models or a totally different brand.

The MK17/S600 is a very good recommendation and flexible for future tech configs. Hope you find something that works for your requirements.

OK, broke down and bought an Atomic Z2x - I think it was a better choice than the other two - any comments on the Z2x??

OK, broke down and bought an Atomic Z2x - I think it was a better choice than the other two - any comments on the Z2x??

From my understanding the Atomic Z2x uses a swivel as opposed to the Atomic Z2 which uses a regular standard hose connection. You should know that swivels don't have a good track record compared to standard hose connections and Angle Adapters. There was a recall notice for the Innovative brand Swivel when one diver had a massive failure. The incident involved the separation at the swivel connection, resulting in rapid lose of air from the diver's LP regulator hose.

I haven't seen any other incidents recently, I know swivels from various manufacturer's are in use, and I know that Innovative has corrected the problem. Needless to say I would inspect your swivel connection on the Atomic Swivel during your pre-dive check. As you should with all you hose connections (regardless of regulator make and model)

Source:
Innovative Scuba Concepts Recalls Diving Regulator Components Due to Drowning Hazard

As a little informative education:
Swivels use 2 standard hose connections plus a swivel connection to provide 3 points where the regulator and hose can spin 360 degrees.
Angle Adapters use only 2 standard hose connections allowing regulators and hose to spin 360 degrees.
Standard regulator setups use 1 standard hose connection allowing for the regulator to spin 360 degrees at the single hose connection.

I believe you can take the swivel off if you so choose.

After asking advice she at least did not choose between the two she had decided on as they were about the worst out there! Atomic generally makes good stuff, and made in the USA to boot. :D

There is absolutely no correlation between busted swivels
and that regulator

P10102651.JPG

Cheap bad reproduction of ball swivel....Port....

Excellent never bust for nothin swivel....Starboard....

How do you know if you are purchasing a
cheap bad reproduction of ball swivel or a not
cheap bad reproduction of ball swivel

You will notice that the
cheap bad reproduction of ball swivel....Port....
is different from the
recalled bad ball swivel
in previous linky

As a SR-1 convert, after being a loyal aqualung legend diver for 5 years my vote is definitely for the Sherwood. Great reg, great performance and not complicated to get serviced. Big thumbs up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom