regulator free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you all for making me feel better even though I caused quite a scene... :D

how do you lightly depress the first stage? did you mean the second stage?
Sorry it's a typo, I meant "second stage"

Sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Ice berg but the knobs DO work. it increases or decreases the sensitivity of the diaphragm. On the surface you want it on the least sensitive (reduces the chances of free flow). Once at depth turn the knob and make it a little more sensitive and you see a BIG difference in ease of breathing. I don't know if people "Tune" their regs, but a simple few turns on the surface all the way off and one or two at depth to make it just right is what most divers go through with most regs.

So without turning the knobs they will drown at depth?

That reg the FDX-10 / DELTA 4 is supposed to be stored with the breathing knob turned all the way out to relieve pressure on the spring. Thus a new reg from the factory was stored/ delivered as it should be. With out turning it in and turning on the air you learned quickly. Store it in the open position before air is turned on crank the knob two are 3 whole turns. Then it shouldn't free-flow. Once in the water make sure you set it before you go under, then it will maintain the setting for the whole dive no matter what depth.

Hey Ice ... you can turn the knob on the Delta 4 where you'll be sucking very very hard for gas. At depth of course but I haven't had it much below 135. But I bet you can shut it off because it sure feels like it would. The knobs are new to me, the Delta 4 the 1st knob reg for me. But I have to agree with jaybombs25 the knobs work.

So without turning the knobs they will drown at depth?

obviously not. i said it increases ease of breathing. it does not START OR STOP the flow of air. You are an Instructor I suppose so i guess you do know what the purpose of the knobs are. If you don't that would be very sad. However, they do make a difference and if you would try it you would see.

Thank you

The breathing resistance knob on the DELTA 4 do work quite well. As a matter of habit I keep mine tuned down for a distinct breathing resistance at all times as I have my Delta 4 as my necklaced secondary reg.. I do this as a checks/balance for staged deco diving no-tox gas switches. The Delta 4 second stage is a good reg. over-all even with the factory swivel hose removed and replaced with a standard fitting.

IceBergSlim...is it not Eisen?

The breathing resistance knob on the DELTA 4 do work quite well. As a matter of habit I keep mine tuned down for a distinct breathing resistance at all times as I have my Delta 4 as my necklaced secondary reg.. I do this as a checks/balance for staged deco diving no-tox gas switches. The Delta 4 second stage is a good reg. over-all even with the factory swivel hose removed and replaced with a standard fitting.

IceBergSlim...is it not Eisen?

She is. So ok.

Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom