Regulator mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twistypencil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be diving for a week, multiple dives a day. I often find after two dives my jaw gets fatigued, and I thought maybe I should consider one of those DGX mouthpieces, the SeaCURE or the Apeks Comfo-bite. I've read around on the forums and I either see people say that one of them made them gag, they hate the other, and oh noes what if I need to donate my first stage.... but all of these threads are from years ago. I'm not so worried about the last one, I think if people want air, they will breathe out of my butt if they need to. I'm curious what people think about these now days, especially those who have had one for a while. I know they are cheap, so I can just 'try' them, but I'm a little nervous about making modifications to my regulator on a regular basis :D

I'm going to be diving for a week, multiple dives a day. I often find after two dives my jaw gets fatigued, and I thought maybe I should consider one of those DGX mouthpieces, the SeaCURE or the Apeks Comfo-bite. I've read around on the forums and I either see people say that one of them made them gag, they hate the other, and oh noes what if I need to donate my first stage.... but all of these threads are from years ago. I'm not so worried about the last one, I think if people want air, they will breathe out of my butt if they need to. I'm curious what people think about these now days, especially those who have had one for a while. I know they are cheap, so I can just 'try' them, but I'm a little nervous about making modifications to my regulator on a regular basis :D
you should not get jaws fatigued after two dives. You don't have to "bit" that much your mouthpieces. Just leave it there with not much pressure on it, just close you lips on it.

cheers

you should not get jaws fatigued after two dives. You don't have to "bit" that much your mouthpieces. Just leave it there with not much pressure on it, just close you lips on it.

cheers
yeah I know! I just get so excited

beside taking out the mouth piece if you really like too is just a zip tie holding it.

I think if people want air, they will breathe out of my butt if they need to.
Thanks for this mental picture which I cannot now unsee! o_O

I've never noticed much difference between the Apeks comfo-bite on my main regs and any other style, to be honest - certainly not enough to bother swapping them around.

yeah I know! I just get so excited
Tell me about it! I bit right through my first mouthpiece after less than a year (ironically it was a comfo-bite) but the replacement still looks like new a decade later. I still get excited, but not THAT excited...

Replacing the mouth piece would not qualify as a modification in my book. Just order several different types from an online store. Pop them in your mouth while driving the car or jogging or something. Which ever takes the least damage is probably the best one for you.

I like the Long-bite mouth pieces that DGX sell. They provide a better grip with surface area across your front and back teeth, Rather than just the front. It will reduce any jaw fatigue or pressure you might feel on your front teeth from a standard mouth piece.

I have used the custom molded mouth pieces and while they seem good at first, if you wear them for a week of diving they end up damaging your gums if they touch them at all. The ones i used are very hard and rigid plastic once set.

I like the Long-bite mouth pieces that DGX sell. They provide a better grip with surface area across your front and back teeth, Rather than just the front. It will reduce any jaw fatigue or pressure you might feel on your front teeth from a standard mouth piece.

I have used the custom molded mouth pieces and while they seem good at first, if you wear them for a week of diving they end up damaging your gums if they touch them at all. The ones i used are very hard and rigid plastic once set.

As someone who has had to have surgery for receding gums multiple times, this is a very helpful comment.

The mouthpiece is a wear item. It's easily replaced, so you shouldn't worry too much about it.

I've been using SeaCure mouthpieces for quite a while now. I like them. Like anything, they do need to be replaced from time to time. Never had an issue with them hurting my gums at all. Yes, for some, they may initiate a gag reflex, but the instructions on molding offer a remedy. Cut them down. No jaw fatigue, and they stay where they are. My personal reg with SeaCure and no swivel is significantly more comfortable than another reg I've used regularly with standard mouthpiece and a swivel.

One note, there are different sizes of the SeaCure. Make sure to get the right one for your regulator. The material is a bit stiffer than other mouthpieces, so won't stretch as much to fit on the regulator.

SeaCure .... they stay where they are.
I agree. There is one other difference between the comfo bite and the seacure (if molded lightly, not a hard bite). My seacure is held in place mostly by my back molars as it traps the indentations and when relaxed, almost zero pressure on my front teeth. The comfo bite for me seems to take more front tooth pressure (although lightly) to hold in position. Just my 2cents and others may differ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom