Regulator Orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the Scuba Pro people told me the MkV turret goes up also long ago back when they first invented it. Why have a turret if you point it down and it no longer can rotate? I like mine up, why does this bother people, up, down, do it however you like.

N

...so, the 'real' Atomic employees back at the factory/headquarters are the only ones that really know what they're talking about, but the flunkies they send to the show to represent them in public are clueless ? :confused:

Hmm, while at DEMA I saw Darcy, talked to Doug Toth for a bit, talked even longer to the gal who designed the Colbalt. So yeah they send their flunkies... :eyebrow:

I think a lot would depend on whether you want optimal routing
flexibility, with hoses either over or under the arms, or if you have
your loose cam band just below the crown of the tank or if you want
your rig to look cool for those that aren't looking in the rack on the boat.

Hmm, while at DEMA I saw Darcy, talked to Doug Toth for a bit, talked even longer to the gal who designed the Colbalt. So yeah they send their flunkies... :eyebrow:

...a GIRL designed the Cobalt and they still forgot to include a pretty, embroidered console cover ??? :)

Well, the Scuba Pro people told me the MkV turret goes up also long ago back when they first invented it. Why have a turret if you point it down and it no longer can rotate? I like mine up, why does this bother people, up, down, do it however you like.

N

...well, if you want your turret to be able to rotate around like that girl's head in 'The Exorcist' , then leave your turret 'upwards'.....but strangely enough I find mine rotates as much as needed 'upside down'. Remember, the turret rotation capacity only needs to provide a little bit of 'play' in the system.....that turrent isn't going to move very much as it's pretty much locked in place by all the hoses sprouting fron the 1st stage, and the fact that the BC hose is also attached to the turret, and the business end of the BC hose is attached to a fixed attachment point which is gonna prevent much in the way of rotation anyway.

But agreed, it's a free country, do whatever floats yer boat.........:)

I think a lot would depend on whether you want optimal routing
flexibility, with hoses either over or under the arms, or if you have
your loose cam band just below the crown of the tank or if you want
your rig to look cool for those that aren't looking in the rack on the boat.

the fact that something...BOTH...... 'looks cool'...AND.....'makes the most sense' ....DOESN'T violate any known laws of physics...just sayin'. :)

...well, if you want your turret to be able to rotate around like that girl's head in 'The Exorcist' , then leave your turret 'upwards'.....but strangely enough I find mine rotates as much as needed 'upside down'. Remember, the turret rotation capacity only needs to provide a little bit of 'play' in the system.....that turret isn't going to move very much as it's pretty much locked in place by all the hoses sprouting from the 1st stage, and the fact that the BC hose is also attached to the turret, and the business end of the BC hose is attached to a fixed attachment point which is gonna prevent much in the way of rotation anyway.

But agreed, it's a free country, do whatever floats yer boat.........:)

I agree, for you, you have me convinced that down is best. For me, I have mine up, it does not hit my head, my hoses route under my arms and my custom Freedom Plate or Oxy Ultra Light cambands fit just fine, both of them.

I think one place that a downward orientation makes sense is if you are diving in an area with plenty of entanglement opportunities and another might be for people short of stature who have issues with the regulator banging them in the head. Of course I am talking about my MkV sets but the layout is similar to the Atomic. A DIN fitting and a downward orientation is streamlined, just the same, I like it up, the hoses route naturally, it reduces strain on the hoses exiting the first stage. The turret is able to rotate to relieve the hoses and allow them to route naturally and is just more comfortable to me, does not interfere with the top of my wing and in real use, the entanglement hazard is just over blown.

If you are using the standard tech type doubles bent plate for singles diving, the poor design (for singles) places the tank way high, vertical and horizontal. There results a strong tendency for the regulator to strike the divers head, one solution is flipping the turret down. Another might be to use an equipment package that does not require such a high placement of the tank. A doubles tech plate used with singles often destroys trim, stability and results in all, sorts of odd compensation techniques as a result of the tank being too high, up and away from the body.

N

This is my singles rig.

I might do it up.

P7050007.JPG

Then people would look.

This is my singles rig.

I might do it up.

P7050007.JPG

Then people would look.

...the reg is probably OK, but I'd suggest upgrading your cardboard B/P...... :)

...so, the 'real' Atomic employees back at the factory/headquarters are the only ones that really know what they're talking about, but the flunkies they send to the show to represent them in public are clueless ? :confused:

Actually you're wrong on that. The people at the show were the senior people from Atomic. In fact it was Doug Toth one of the cofounders. It may be that the original inventors of the turret design intended it up and did not realize how most people would use it.

I know there are people who do things just so they don't "look like a newbie". But that's just their insecurity.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom