Regulator Orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most of the rest on this thread, I have my B2 first stage oriented down. The last time I brought it in for service the LDS set it up for orientation up. Told me also that it was the way it was designed. Had them change it to down! I dive in kelp and swim-throughs. It's one less thing to hit or get caught on.

Just opened my B2. Comes shipped with the primary coming out of the 'end' of the turret. I've dived with turrets for a couple of years & always oriented them down. Called another instructor, he said try it up with the reg as is, per Atomic, it'll come over the shoulder at a good angle. I'll try it but seems like it invites entanglements.
Also, my weight trimming has me wearing my tank as high as I can. I'll have to drop it a bit to try this, so I'll see how it goes.

When I bought my first new reg, my mentor explained all the advantages of configuring the hoses to work opposite of how that Scubapro first stage was designed. A couple months later doing my nearly zero to past hero at a Scubapro "only" operation, no one (owner, employees or instructors) even mentioned anything with regards to my first stage orientation. Just weeks after that, my Cavern/Intro to Cave instructor complimented me on having set it up "right" before meeting any "cavers."

Why would any diver want to have their first stage set up to have metal stick up "even higher" above the tank valve than it does with body down?

Wait; I will answer my own rhetorical question. If you have an Oceanic PX-2 or PX-3 the body makes contact with the valve flange of some AL100's in the body down config.

That is an Oceanic CDX-5 on the AL100 and an Oceanic PX-3 on the AL30. That wide "neck" of the AL100 makes contact with a down configured PX-3.

I was pretty unhappy with my newest Oceanic first stage (FDX-10); the ports are oriented in such a way that knowone "might do it up." So, I will probably only ever buy another Oceanic first stage if it is a "used" CDX-5. :idk:

Fairdinkum.
You know that SP Mk10 up there, it was yoke until the knob
wore into a ball pebble type shape and now that we're talking
about it, I remember wearing grooves into my ally 88s and 95s
but haven't used an ally in 15 years so who remembers this stuff
now it sits downwards at 45o on steels with 2 or 3 hoses under the
arms and the inflator over the top but I have this laying around that
will never be used for anything but is a pity about distance same ocean
postage

Back
Top Bottom