Regulator Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does the actual warranty card look like?

I have all my receipts -- bought it from my local authorized reseller LDS - registered it with Oceanic -- but am confused on what the warranty card looks like. I do have a card that explains you need to register your product -- Is that the warranty card?

Luckily I like my LDS and don't plan on switching but things could happen beyond my control.

Brad just shot a couple of pictures of both sides of the Oceanic Alliance Service Agreement card. This should be completed when you purchase a new piece of covered equipment. The form that you see in the picture is what you get as a consumer. In addition, there is a pink copy for the dealers files and a yellow copy that is sent to Oceanic. I don't know if other dealers are studious about completing this card, because most might expect that they will be performing all annual service, and may keep maintenance records in some different way. Certainly, I would expect that all online dealers would complete the card, given that the customer might request this service at a variety of dealers. All a dealer needs to do to make the parts claim from Oceanic is verify that service has been done each year (I presume using whatever records available to them) and request replacement parts from Oceanic. We have had a couple of occasions where we have asked the customer for the name of the last shop that completed service and simply called them to verify for the warranty purposes.

Oceanic Alliance Service Agreement Card

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I just got back from one of the local dive shops in my area. I dropped off my Oceanic regs that i got last year to get them serviced. The regs were purchased online from DiveSports.com (Very happy by the way, Phil).

Now, this local dive shop is saying that because I bought the package online, they have to charge me labor for a full overhaul, instead of just a performance inspection ($90 vs $40) because this is required by Oceanic. Is this true? What is that all about? What difference does it make?

No, it isn't!
Find another dive shop that one is crooked.
You should get the same service whether purchased online/mail order or local as long as purchased from a authorized Oceanic dealer.
Further if the shop you went to for service is an authorized Oceanic Dealer then I'd make a formal complaint to Oceanic.
Oceanic I would hope would use whatever pull they have through their dealer contract to either straighten out this jokers game or pull the Oceanic lines out of the store.

OP, as you've probably guessed, you need to find a new shop for your service.

Scuba.com is an authorized Oceanic dealer. There's no issues with your regs not being covered under warranty. If your shop had an issue with you not having the correct paperwork, they could have let you bring in the paperwork.

Also, them not returning your old parts is a very big deal. There's no liability for them in returning the old parts. It's the norm in the industry. How are you supposed to know if they actually serviced the reg? My LDS always returns the old parts to me, and every LDS I know of does the same.

This LDS doesn't deserve your business.

I just got back from one of the local dive shops in my area. I dropped off my Oceanic regs that i got last year to get them serviced. The regs were purchased online from DiveSports.com (Very happy by the way, Phil).

Now, this local dive shop is saying that because I bought the package online, they have to charge me labor for a full overhaul, instead of just a performance inspection ($90 vs $40) because this is required by Oceanic. Is this true? What is that all about? What difference does it make?

Quick question, where are you getting these serviced? If you'd prefer to keep it private, feel free to PM me, but I have tried to get my oceanic regs serviced in the Boston area before and didn't feel safe giving the regs to any of the licensed dealers at the time. One stated a reg was perfectly fine while it was under recall. They are out of business now. The other two (just over the border in NH) are no longer dealers and had very protectionist attitudes about buying equipment.

I finally just got fed up and sent my regs to ScubaToys.com in TX. Back to me in a week or so, no big hassles. I do however have the alliance cards, so you may want to call them first before sending the regs.

The Alliance service agreement is (I think) an optional program which dealers can opt into. If they participate, then they should give you the Alliance service card along with your warranty card. I dont think that the dealers are required to participate in the program. However, if you have the Alliance card, any Oceanic dealer should honor that as they would get replacement parts back from Oceanic. You would still need to pay for labor, but not for the parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom