Regulators - best of the tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone out there doing testing of scuba gear that the critical ones on here are not complaining about?

They'd need to be well funded, because I doubt they'd get any kit to test if they were truly critical.

It's up to the consumer to research, find out what features and functions are most important to them, and choose the equipment based on their personal criteria.

Absolutely! I've never seen a truly critical, unbiased and market sweeping comparative report yet. The best option is to do the research yourself - short list those regulators that have the functions, features and performance characteristics you need. Take that short-list to somewhere like Scubaboard and see what other divers have to say. Trial the regs if you can. Then pick what best suits your needs.

There is no "best" equipment ... there's only "best for you" ... and no test is going to be able to tell you what that is ...

Some honest pros and cons wouldn't hurt though :wink:

Some honest pros and cons wouldn't hurt though :wink:

... you're far more likely to get those from people who own the equipment than from people who test it ... because they've had a number of dives and varying conditions to find out what they are.

"Cons" on most equipment won't even show up during a standardized test ... because they're more likely to be either application-specific or something that appears gradually, over an extended number of dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have no problem with manufacturers supply gear for testing, in fact that likely means that the gear is tuned as well as it possibly can be, which is the real first order question: "how does it work when all is the way it should be." What I'd like to see is a similar report (including a disassemble report) for those regulators after 100 dives and normal "gear bag abuse."
Yes and no.

For a high end reg made to closely specified tolerances, the range in performance within that model will be pretty small. I.e. most of them can be tuned to a similar highly performing standard, so a manufacturer chery picking one and expertly tuning it has a fairly small impact, as any good tech in the shop selling the reg should be able to produce a reg of similar performance.

On the other hand, a less expensive reg made to a wider range of tolerances and with a wider range of performance potential is an entirely different story. In that case, the company can cherry pick a reg with tight tolerances and/or where the tolerances stack in the right direction and with expert tuning can produce a reg that clearly performs in the right hand tail of the performance distribution curve. Testing of this hand picked reg then reg would then imply performance for the model that is well beyond what could be achieved by the average reg, exen if tuned by an expert tech.

As an example, I have seen some R390s that can deliver excellent inhalation effort, when the average R390 won't.

Consequently, I take test results on a high end reg like the Mk 25 S600 with a smaller grain of salt than I take test result on lower end "best value" regs. The latter would be far more credible if the regs was randomly selected, or even better results from a sample of regs were averaged.

As for the testing/dissasembly at 100 dives theory - if the reg is properly maintained, kept dry and fed clean gas, it would not make much difference and any meaningful results would be lost in the noise of user/usage variables and gas quality issues.

How come nobody has mentioned Oceanic as a regulator you own? I'm close to purchasing an Oceanic EOS FDX10 DVT cause my LDS recommends it as one of the best. Am I missing something? I do want to buy local and I do want a very good regulator.

How come nobody has mentioned Oceanic as a regulator you own? I'm close to purchasing an Oceanic EOS FDX10 DVT cause my LDS recommends it as one of the best. Am I missing something? I do want to buy local and I do want a very good regulator.

The OCEANIC EOS is an excellent regulator. I would not hesitate to use it under any set of conditions.

However, there are other fine regulators that I'd say the same thing about.

As I look through that field of regulators I then ask myself about features, hose routing, price, how the company operates, repairs, parts availability, both from the manufacturer and int interchangeability with other brands and models, and when it all boils down I favor the HOG D1.

Back
Top Bottom